1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DBI and ODBC

There is a HOWTO at www.iodbc.org that shows how to use ODBC with Perl on non-Windows platforms as well:
    http://www.iodbc.org/index.htm

Best regards,
    Andrew Hill
    Director of Technology Evangelism
    OpenLink Software http://www.openlinksw.com
    Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: DBI and ODBC

Thank you, Andrew!

This is a very helpful resource, and very timely for some projects I'm working on. I hope other folks take advantage of it, too. The MS platform really can't be ignored, as much as I'd like to, sometimes.

Thanks,

Randal S. MacDonald
    rsm@globalgecko.com
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you!

Thanks for making a Perl article. Devshed's front page was all PHP and mySQL for a while there :)
  7. No Profile Picture

Small nitpicks

Cannot locate file! at ./carpdemo.pl line 8.

in the example on page 7 should have been line 6.

In general, a very helpful article, but the examples would be a lot more readable if they used tags, especially for the sample database which looks bad without it.

Line numbers in the code snippets would be very useful to aid understanding.

Overall, well done.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you

Thank you very much for writing a VERY clear article on interfacing MySQL databases with Perl! I couldnt have asked for a better intro! Now Im hungry for more :)

Thanks again,

Christopher
  11. No Profile Picture

Ta...

After a day of frustration these pages have made my life lot easier and finally shut my boss up with few completed projects...

Great source for beginners.

L.
  13. No Profile Picture

Great for inexperienced Web designers

After creating a simple website with a login page, and a form to add user information, I used perl to communicate between the MySQL database and the HTML page. "MySQL and Perl for the Web" by Paul DuBois was a big help.

The main advantage of perl is the connectability for MySQL. It is very easy to call up MySQL using DBI. Install the DBI and then two simple lines will login to the database, and then run the query via the perl code. I am very inexperienced, and although it was a lot of work, using Perl & DBI to connect the HTML with MySQL was fairly simple.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Ducani

Carping About DBI

Carping About DBI

May 02, 2001 - One of the nice things about Perl is the huge amount of free code out there. Available in the form of modules, this code can simplify many common tasks while simultaneously offering a powerful toolkit for the experienced developer. In this article, learn about two of the most popular Perl modules: DBI, used for database connectivity, and Carp, used to simplify error handling. Click for full article.

Please discuss this article in this thread. You can read the article here .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo