Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: MySQL Doesn't Support Transactions?

By default it does not, you must compile support for the other table types in. This means that their default binary does not support transactions, and that most webhosting accounts that provide MySQL databases will not have transaction support. Also, it seems odd to me that you would desire transactions and not desire referential integrity, subselects, stored proc's, triggers, and greater ANSI compliance. If you need more than a simple RDBMS with very fast tables, use PostgreSQL, or a commercial product.

Don't get me wrong, MySQL is great in its own bailiwick. I use MySQL fairly often and, inspite of its limitations (such as not being able to set the default value of a field to a function), am very happy with it. The developers are correct in that you do not need 'everything'. My favourite is still PostgreSQL though... it provides me with certain features that I am simply used to from other fully featured RDBMS products.
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: MySQL Doesn't Support Transactions?

Stupid user correction. Apparently the default binary does not include support for innoDB, but the -Max binary does. As well, innoDB provides referential integrity constraints.

--waste--
  5. No Profile Picture

how about phplib ?

hi,

I didn't read all pages so you can slap me right away if you covered this issue in article. My question is this: how does it differ from phplib library ?
    Is there any special features in PEAR DB that are not in phplib ?

just a bit confused .....

--Zpiff-
  7. No Profile Picture

Re: insert_id ?

Hi,

take a look at the explanation of sequences in the online manual at
    http://pear.php.net/manual/en/core.db.tut_sequences.php

Basically, instead of running an insert query and then using mysql_insert_id, you request the next available id and THEN use this to perform the insert.

The PEAR documentation is a little abstruse, especially for someone like me new to OOP, but better than nothing, which is what used to be at pear.php.net.

Best of luck, Derek!

9. No Profile Picture
    Ageing Junior Member

MySQL Transactions

It seems that for T/As with MySQL "InnoDB tables are included in the MySQL source distribution starting from 3.23.34a and are activated in the MySQL -Max binary."
    In my search for a new host offering MySQL WITH T/As I found the often-repeated line is "MySQL version 3.23.6 isn't even a stable release. Basically, what that means is that transactional databases aren't even possible with any stable release of MySQL."
    Can anyone (close to MySQL) supply some solid facts on this?
  11. No Profile Picture

PEAR 4 WIndows

Obtain a CLI version of PHP.exe and php4ts.dll

(Download and extract the ZIP package, copy the DLL into the CLI directory)

then in the CLI directory

php -n -r "include 'http://go-pear.org';"

This will install pear for you
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

[no subject]

When you say in the CLI directory

php -n -r "include 'http://go-pear.org';"

what exactly does this mean? How and where do you run this command? I don't quite understand what you are doing at this point.

Thanks
  15. No Profile Picture
    Ducani

Database Abstraction With PHP

Database Abstraction With PHP

February 13, 2002 - One of the nicest things about Perl - the DBI module - finally makes an appearance in PHP. Take a look at the PEAR database abstraction layer, by far one of the coolest PHP widgets out there.

Please discuss this article in this thread. You can read the article here .
  17. No Profile Picture
    Ducani
    If you would like to see an article covering a particular topic, please post your request here.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo