1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

good one

this is a very well illustrated and simple article on normalization . I really liked it to make things very clear for me.
    thanks and keep up the good work
    Srikanth
  3. No Profile Picture

Great summary of normalization

I was looking for the 5 minute overview of DB normalization. I do most of this by instinct, but I needed to terms so I could explain what I'm doing to others.

Thanks!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Nerd
  7. No Profile Picture

You asked for it

Nerd
  9. No Profile Picture

Lost my professor

It would have been helpful to see your final table structures. We seem to have lost the tie between the professor and the class. Also, I agree that there should be a M:M relationship on the ERD between students and classes.
  11. No Profile Picture
  13. No Profile Picture

Re: excellent article!

These articles are very good and I am of the opinion that you have done an excellent job. There is however one small error under "So Why Normalize?", Unforeseen Scaleability Issues: you wrote

For example, structurally limiting the database to allot space for
    only three classes per student could prove deadly if next year the
    school board decides to permit all students to schedule three
    classes.

I think you meant to write : to schedule MORE THAN three classes.

ciao,

Larry
  15. No Profile Picture
  17. No Profile Picture

yeah, it's great fun!

database can be a great fun but I think through database normalization we can reduce redundancy!
  19. No Profile Picture

Awsome Article

I am a college student in Ontario and it just so happens that I have a test on Database Management and Normalization at 9:00am I realy had no Idea before I read this article, I am used to reading Text books that are sooooo borring, however this article was most helpfull and easy to read
    Thanks
    Sam
    2:40 am
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: ER diagram.

Waalaikum salam,
    As a beginner in programming, I am learning about ER too, but still confuse in normalization, pls lets talk about that.

thanks,

23. No Profile Picture

sorry here I am,

Salom,

minhar
    m1nh4r@yahoo.co.uk
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Could you advice me to any website that I can learn ER.

Cheers, Hussam
  27. No Profile Picture

normalisation

thank you for your article. its the only time that i have seen the same example used from start to finish. I you have written or going to write a book please could you email it. I will also recommend your articles for every one studying computer science at oxford brookes university. england.
  29. No Profile Picture

Two glaring weaknesses

1. Cursory explanation of subject--one comes across many such treatments on the Web. You offer standard definitions for terms such as entity--why not offer distinction between entities vs weak entities. eg. textbook. Also, you gloss over 1,2, 3rd normal forms without mention of anomalies (insert,delete, update).

2. No mention of resources used or references for further or fuller explanations of material. This is also commonplace on the Web. Did you 'Invent' normalization? Of course, not. Then why not refer readers to online articles/essays by others (Codd, Chen et alii).

The second is the most serious infraction. I don't mind 'intro' type articles, but it irks me when a cursory 'intro' to a serious topic offers no references. You wouldn't write an academic article without offering at least a few footnotes. Of course, not. My hope is that WWW writers start taking their subjects seriously enough to give proper treatment. Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo