1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: the jsp article

Thanks! I tried mailing the authors but no response.
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: Tomcat=Slow, JSP=??

Coming across this site I've run ab by myself at http://it97.dyn.dhs.org/abtest.shtml
    since I'd installed Tomcat 3.2.1 ang got the feeling "isn't that a little bit slow?"
    There are some other items making me wonder;
    my machine has less RAM than the one used at
    http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/zope_benchmarks/benchmarks.html
    and gives better results...
  5. No Profile Picture

RAM <> better ab resutls

It is very good to be critical to all benchmarks, but please...
    Only because the Zope-Tomcat benchmark computer has more RAM, doesn't necessariliy mean that it is faster.

7. No Profile Picture

comfortable reading

very well written, informal but informative and presents just enough examples for the reader to be interested and curious. it would be nice to have some links to some live jsp's with short commentary on code and behavior. more power! is there a tutorial on java servlets?
  9. No Profile Picture

Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment

Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment the top of the article states if you dont have a jsp dev environment in place...

"take a look at "Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment" at , a tutorial which will guide you through the process."

Can anyone point me to this tutorial? I cant find it

Thanks,

Greg You can read the article here .
  11. No Profile Picture

Re: Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment

hi!

You can find the article at the melonfire site at http://www.melonfire.com/community/columns/trog/article.php3?id=48

It is quite detailed, and I was able to get my Windows station up quite easily.
  13. No Profile Picture

Any hosting co's offering JSP w/Tomcat?

This JSP looks interesting. I have set up a site using JSP and servlets on my Linux workstation and would like to move it to a real server.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hosting company that supports JSP with the Tomcat server, Java servlets, and MySQL? I see that a lot of companies offer JServe, but I am more interested in Tomcat and like the idea of writing my own servlets.

Thanks,

Wild
  15. No Profile Picture

Re: Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment

hey Ted,

Many thanks, I am up and running.

Cheers,

Greg
  17. No Profile Picture

Thread Safety

Please cover thread safety and when to use sync statements. I'm new to multithread programing and I'm a bit confused about when to use sync. For example, If I create a function to retreive things from a DB does that function need to be safe form thread race conditions?

If thats the case, isn't DB access in a JSP slow? I.E. doesnt each request have to wait for the one before it?

Thanks Much,

Lon Palmer
  19. No Profile Picture

Re: JSP is rubbish

If &quot;rubbish&quot; translates to &quot;ominous power and a fat paycheck&quot;, I agree.
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: Figures...

I have *never* seen a JSP (or J2EE) site faster than a PHP site there are many reasons for chosing JSP over PHP, speed is not one of them however. From the introduction of this article it seem that the writer hasn't looked at PHP latly (or even ASP for that matter). For instance if you're using mod_php, the ISAPI, or the NSAPI (every install I've done in the last 3 years have been). PHP does NOT generates a new process on the server, for each request. And M$ even seems to relize that they can't keep doing that ASP+ seems to not gernerate new processes (I haven't actually tried this out however). PHP4 with the zend optimizer is by far the fastest server side scripting language I use.

So why *do* I use JSP? Well lets say you're working in a big team environment where everyone already knows Java. In that case there is no reason to add PHP's syntax into the project. Or lets say you already had most or all of the application logic in Java. once again why would you use PHP (although if I was the only one doing the programing I might be tempted). You're working on a project that *really* has to scale (PHP or ASP can be made to scale but its a lot more work), I'd use J2EE. Or you have to plug in some legacy applications, once again easier with J2EE. In short if you're working on a really big web application you should generally use Java.

JSP has a bit more overhead than PHP however. If you are familar with Perl and Java its pretty much the same thing. Easy / small projects are almost *always* easier to do in Perl. But if you want a lot of code reuse or Have to work with a big team. I'd suggest Java.
  23. No Profile Picture

Re: Figures...

Hi Carl,

thanks for those opinions and bits of information - they help me a lot! =)

Some interesting points in there for future reference too..

Cheers,

Stephen
  25. No Profile Picture

[no subject]

Good article.
  27. No Profile Picture

script.kik

hola ke ondas kiero mi pajina para hacer la competencia de scripts
  29. No Profile Picture

Invoking a new process??

I'm surprised to see the statement that ASP, PHP and PERL start a new process for each request.

For ASP, that is definitely untrue: ASP is in-process

PERL by default does require forking, but there have been improvements on that, such as mod_perl for Apache, which keeps an instance of the PERL interpreter in memory to service all requests, getting away from the original configuration that required a new process for each request.

I don't know a whole lot about PHP, but everything I've read indicates (At least on Apache) that mod_php is also in-process.

Even the dreaded CSP (COBOL server pages) is in-process.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo