• Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[no subject]

Good introduction. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

JSP vs. PHP

FLAME WAR!!! Okay umm.. no. Seriously, I am very much interested in hearing experience of people who are using JSP; its advantage or disadvantage. And Please, no "Its so full of features" or "Its got scalability". If you are going to say that, please be specific.
  5. No Profile Picture

[no subject]

Could you please tell me where is the article "Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment" you mentioned?
  7. No Profile Picture

Re:

http://www.melonfire.com/community/columns/trog/article.php3?id=48

is where ull find the article
  9. No Profile Picture

Re: the jsp article

i found this article after spending about ten minutes on the linked page- guess someone out it in the wrong order on devhed

take a look at http://www.melonfire.com/community/columns/trog/article.php3?id=48 - quite good!
  11. No Profile Picture

JSP in action

If you want to see JSP in action, using conditional statements, you might take a look at some pages I wrote for the Java Developer Connection's New-to-Java Programming Center:
    <br>
    <br>
    http://java.sun.com/jdc/onlineTraining/new2java
    <br>
    <br>
    Then click on Learning Paths. This offers a customized page based on which boxes a client checks in the forms.
  13. No Profile Picture

Figures...

Just how much faster is JSP than the likes of PHP? Of course compiling helps but PHP runs some pretty heavy sites (eg Sourceforge and Freshmeat) and still copes well. Then then there is the Zend Compiler and Cache engine...

I'm interested in JSP but I've been using PHP for 18 months and I don't plan on stopping unless there are some major benefits...

I'd be interested in any opinions and ideas on its ease of use for web applications...

Does it support sessions? I have so many questions but those can wait =)

Thanks

Stephen
  15. No Profile Picture

Nice Easy Introduction

Nice article for a novice to start playing around with JSP. Although a guide on how to set up Apache with JSP would have been welcomed or at least a reference to an article.
  17. No Profile Picture

Tomcat=Slow, JSP=??

Tomcat is, as I've seen, a slow engine.
    <br>
    Since Tomcat is the Java Engine that JSP pages use, does this mean that JSP pages are slow, or is it just a slow-on-first-compile-use-thing?
    <br>
    <br>
    Check out this comparison with Zope
    <br>
    http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/zope_benchmarks/benchmarks.html
    <br>
    <br>
    Python (the Zope engine) is not "compiled" but Java is. Shouldn't compiled languages be faster?
  19. No Profile Picture

Re: JSP vs. PHP

I've seen comparisons of JSP vs PHP (PHP 4x faster) and JSP vs Zope (Python, Zope 3x faster). This is all I need for my medium-sized projects. I'm studying migrating to Zope for medium sites but JSP seems only suitable for very, very big sites with multiple-servers perhaps.
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: Tomcat=Slow, JSP=??

There are an entire host of JSP "containers" (J2EE lingo for a server-side engine) out there, varying from the free Tomcat, to much more involved application server products such as IBM WebSphere, BEA WebLogic, iPlanet and Allaire JRun. Of course performance varies from product to product and also depends on how it is configured. For example, you can configure most of these products to work with an external web server such as Apache or IIS, and just have the dynamic (i.e. JSP) requests forwarded to the application server.
    <br>
    <br>
    There is a free developer version of JRun available for download, it is very easy to set up and is good for getting started. For a production environment, I suggest that you select a product based on your specific needs.
    <br>
    <br>
    As you state, JSPs are only compiled once when a new version is loaded. Better yet, since they are converted into a servlet, the servlet only needs to be loaded once - all future requests go to the already running instance. Each requests runs in it's own thread, but can share expensive resources, such as database connections, with other threads.
    <br>
  23. No Profile Picture

Simple question asks for a simple answer.

Are JSP pages slow?
    Compared to PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, ...?
  25. No Profile Picture

Short answer:
    <br>
    <br>
    I have not compared them myself.
    <br>
    <br>
    Longer answer:
    <br>
    <br>
    Intuitively, I would think that a servlet based approach would scale much better.
    <br>
    <br>
    I did find the following compaison though:
    <br>
    http://www.geocities.com/gslender/
    <br>
    <br>
    In the end, if you are looking at a low-medium volume site, pick the tools which is most productive for *you*. For enterprise apps, I would stick to Java.
    <br>
    <br>
    As an aside, I am no great fan of JSP. In the enterprise projects that I have architected we have used servlets with an XML/XSL transformation engine (XSLT) to separate presentation from logic.
  27. No Profile Picture

JSP is rubbish

where there is refered as "take a little while" when you first access is actually very slow!
  29. No Profile Picture

JSP Files

Excellent...I can't wait until part two.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo