Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Optimizing Mysql

Optimizing MySQL I think this article is very useful for anyone intresting in databases, and, or database developement. Also it is a very good article for webmasters, dba, and sysadmins. It gathers the lot of spread-out information and condences it into practically useful points to check and do.
    Thanks, and keep up the good work :-)

You can read the article here .
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: Optimizing Mysql

Thank you!

/wj gilmore
  5. No Profile Picture

OPTIMIZE and EXPLAIN

I have no idea why you put the Optimize and Explain functions in the article because you give no clue at all as to how to use them. One would think you could spend an extra 5 minutes and add a line or two of sample code.
  7. No Profile Picture

Optimizing MySQL

Optimizing MySQL Thank you for your article(s). (I read "An Introduction to Database Normailzation parts 1 and 2" as well.) Due to your informative articles, I ran out and picked up MySQL last Saturday and have read its contents. Since I am just starting out in learning this, your articles break down the importance of the topics into easy to understand and implement practices that should be known/done before writing/implementing any database.
    <br>
    <br>
    Thank you for these articles. I look forward to reading any upcoming articles you plan on publishing here!
    <br>
    <br>
    Pam
    <br>
    You can read the article here .
  9. No Profile Picture

About the article

I must unfortunately say that I'm a bit disapointed after having read the article.

I was looking forward to reading a really nice technical article about tuning MySQL and it turned out to be a short description about a few things that could be done.

Well it is a big subject and maybe I just got my hopes up to high.

Stefan
  11. No Profile Picture

Re: Optimizing MySQL

Thank you for the kind words!

wj gilmore
  13. No Profile Picture

5 more minutes got me this

Hi,

After reading your article I still didn't get any good optimisation tips. After a 5-minute search I found these:

http://www.mysql.com/information/presentations/

The first presentation contains so many vital tips that gave instant result, even on a well-tweaked system.

Search for 10 minutes and you'll find invaluable tips at several user-groups or forums.

While your article serves nicely as an introduction, the contents of the above presentation should not have been overseen.
  15. No Profile Picture

Re: About the article

what's the deal with making us scroll horizontally to read the other 1/2 of the article?
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: 5 more minutes got me this

Hi,

In defense of the article, I'd like to state the obvious and point out that searching for 5 minutes within user-groups or forums will often provide a plethora of information regarding the subject-matter the person is searching for.

The purpose of an article such as this is simply to introduce this subject, providing a basis for which the reader can begin making his own investigations into the matter. The fact that much of the information was found in another article (http://www.mysql.com/information/presentations/) doesn't surprise me in the least, considering the importance of the topic.

I hope that this information has been of use to the majority of readers who have taken the time to read it.

In coming days, I will be updating the article with further information should any reader be so interested in checking it out.

Sincerely,
    WJ Gilmore
  19. No Profile Picture

I followed your link:

http://www.mysql.com/information/presentations

and saved the file for reference so maybe it should have been included in the article.

However, as a beginner trying to get my head around this stuff, the article was as he said, enough to be going on with for now.
  21. No Profile Picture

I found WJ Gilmore's article very useful and easy to understand. A great first step. Just the relevation that there was a sample .my.cnf available on my server and that you had to copy it over to one of the relevant locations was worth its weight in gold to me! After searching through a number of sites and the MySQL docs, I couldn't find anything that answered the most basic of questions - where the hell was my .my.cnf file and what was it supposed to look like? Everybody kept saying "just drop these lines into your .my.cnf blah, blah...". It was driving me crazy - because I didn't have one!

So, now finally I can increase my max_connections and play with all those other settings..

Thanks, again, WJ!

23. No Profile Picture

hi

25. No Profile Picture

Re: Re: 5 more minutes got me this

Mr. Gilmore,

The issue you chose to touch upon is rather simple in its structure.

There are numerous cryptic server tuning parameters one can set in MySQL.

There are also some distinct user-specific scenarios one can identify:
    - small DB, small RAM
    - small DB, large RAM (my case!)
    - large DB, small RAM
    - large DB, large RAM

Perhaps one can also take into account the CPU speed and the number of queries per second.

Then an expert should be able to make some suggestions on the parameters that would fit each user case.

Without any intention to offend you and/or demean your expertise, I must say that I found very little of that in your article.

George
  27. No Profile Picture

Re: Re: Re: 5 more minutes got me this

absolutely no offense taken. I invite you to query Devshed regarding publishing an article conveying your expertise on the matter. I'm sure the readers would benefit greatly to read such an article.

thanks,
    jason
  29. No Profile Picture

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more minutes got me this

Mr. Gilmore,
    Your irony is noted but misplaced. I clearly do not claim to have such expertise, otherwise I wouldn't have had any reason to search for it! As a matter of fact, it's very likely that YOU have it. And perhaps the arguments in my response will give you an idea of what people might expect in terms of tuning advice.
    - GID
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo