Page 4 of 22 First ... 2345614 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

submit uninitialized ??!

Hi all,

I've tried the sample scripts and as for most of you it works fine except (!! :) ) for a warning message displayed on the page itself : uninitialized variable (submit)

What's wrong ?

TIA

ioleann
  3. No Profile Picture

Overall perception

Ying ... I have just been skimming the tutorial as I waited for the printer to finish. This appears to be a good intro. Thanks.

I have followed other installation directions and gotten *zip* for my efforts so I am hopeful that your suggestions will work out better.

I am still new enough to Linux to be having "newbie problems" at every turn!

(Still, I prefer having these problems as a newbie to Linux instead of the seemingly random problems I encountered under WinXX!)

--Bill
  5. No Profile Picture

Re: Password for web user?

handling passwords can be done several ways.
    <br>
    you can write a script to encode the password before you put it in the http string.
    <br>
    <br>
    what is preferred is to use cookies to store
    <br>
    this information. i don't have a handy referrence around, but you should be able to find something relevant on the web.
  7. No Profile Picture

Test program

I have gone throught step by step with this tutorial but when I acess index.php3 via a web browser I get "no data" on the screen. The web page works fine. I do not get any erros that the database is not there. I can manually view the database and the table vie mysql. Any ideas?
  9. No Profile Picture

wow

that was really easy and worked the first time.
    <br>
    yay!
  11. No Profile Picture

Re: Test program

This sounds like this is a problem with the httpd.conf.
    <br>
    <br>
    The most common cause is forgetting to add
    <br>
    <br>
    AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
    <br>
    <br>
    to your httpd.conf file or add
    <br>
    <br>
    application/x-httpd-php3 php3
    <br>
    <br>
    to mime.types. If that doesn't work, make sure that httpd.conf has lines to add and load the php module. You might want to post those parts of your conf file to see if someone will spot the problem.
    <br>
    <br>
    If you already had Apache installed with a custom prefix (such as --prefix=/usr/bin or a Redhat RPM), and then you installed php, make sure that php put the modules in the right place during the make install.
    <br>
    <br>
    Hope this helps.
    <br>
    <br>
  13. No Profile Picture

Re: mysql($dbname,$query);

There are 2 separate functions you need to use, mysql_connect() and mysql_query(). Use mysql_connect() first, e.g.:
    <br>
    <br>
    $db = mysql_connect("hostname", "username", "password");
    <br>
    <br>
    mysql_select_db("thedatabase",$db);
    <br>
    <br>
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM thetable WHERE thefield='xyz' ORDER BY otherfield",$db);
    <br>
    <br>
    /*This tells mysql to connect to the named host, then select the database and assign it to $db. Then we set $result to whatever query you want to make on $db using mysql_query(). Then you'll want to do something useful with it. For now, lets just pull out all of the information.*/
    <br>
    <br>
    while ($therow = mysql_fetch_row($result)):
    <br>
    for ($i=0; $i< mysql_num_fields($result); $i++) {
    <br>
    echo $therow[$i];
    <br>
    }
    <br>
    endwhile;
    <br>
    <br>
    Hope this helps.
    <br>
  15. No Profile Picture

Re: Access problems

Wow, this sounds like a tough one.
    <br>
    My tips: First make sure that you reload the grant tables each time you make changes to them (like password changes). This can be done with %>mysqladmin -u root -p reload
    <br>
    <br>
    The problem there is that you'll need the password. Try to figure out what password is loaded. It might be none, in which case you'll need to skip the -p option.
    <br>
    <br>
    Second, once you figure out what password is stored, change it, and reload you tables, check to make sure that the mysql_connect() function contains the correct information.
    <br>
    <br>
    Third, if still no luck, try inserting information into the host table of the mysql database.
    <br>
    %>mysql -u root -p
    <br>
    (enter password at prompt)
    <br>
    mysql>use mysql
    <br>
    mysql>describe host;
    <br>
    mysql>INSERT INTO host (Host,Db,Select_priv,Insert_priv,Update_priv,Delete_priv,Create_priv,Drop_priv,Grant_priv,References _priv,Index_priv,Alter_priv) VALUES ('localhost','%','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y',',Y','Y','Y','Y');
    <br>
    mysql>exit
    <br>
    Bye
    <br>
    %>mysqladmin -u root -p reload
    <br>
    (enter password)
    <br>
    <br>
    Hope this helps.
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: apxs:Break

If you're running Redhat, apxs is probably in /usr/sbin instead of usr/local/bin.
    <br>
    <br>
    Hope this helps.
  19. No Profile Picture

Re: This does not work

You do not need to recompile. Either get the mod_php RPM or read the file INSTALL.REDHAT that comes with the php3 tarball. Be sure to ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: mysql GRANT

Unless you have root access to MySQL, you probably won't be allowed to change any access privileges. Send an email to support and ask them to make changes.
    <br>
    <br>
    If you do have access to the databse "mysql", which holds the access tables, you can insert information without the grant command using standard sql.
    <br>
    <br>
    %>mysql -u root -p
    <br>
    (enter password at prompt)
    <br>
    mysql>use mysql
    <br>
    mysql>describe host;
    <br>
    mysql>INSERT INTO host (Host,Db,Select_priv,Insert_priv,Update_priv,Delete_priv,Create_priv,Drop_priv,Grant_priv,References _priv,Index_priv,Alter_priv) VALUES ('localhost','%','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y',',Y','Y','Y','Y');
    <br>
    mysql>exit
    <br>
    Bye
    <br>
    %>mysqladmin -u root -p reload
    <br>
    (enter password)
    <br>
    <br>
  23. No Profile Picture

Re: wow

Just a quick question, what OS did you do no problem in? Are you using Redhat ver 6.x?? Or if not what did you have that worked the first time? I have had a terrible time trying to get this to work. I just printed these instructions out and will try them on my Redhat 6.0 system.
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks,
    <br>
    <br>
    Mo
  25. No Profile Picture

Submit button doesn't want to submit

When I add a new name and phone number into the add.index HTML nothing happens when I press the Submit button. Also I'm unable to see the Name or Phone text entry box's with Netscape 4.6, but IE 5.0 see it just fine.
    <br>
    Any suggestions?
  27. No Profile Picture

Re: apxs:Break

I beleive my problem was caused by doing the make on apache as root..so php could not write to the apxs file
    <br>

<br>
    (unfortunately I did not follow the directions the first time....where it says you probably shouldn't be root when doing the make)
    <br>

<br>
    I had to totally remove the 3 programs and then install as an admin user while following the directions to the letter and the install worked.
    <br>

<br>
  29. No Profile Picture

Easy!!!

Hey thanks, just looking at the example code I was able to build my own scripts and forms!
Page 4 of 22 First ... 2345614 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo