Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: jsdk.jar found!!!

U da man ;) thankfully on broadband so its not to hard downloading 80mb and finding its not enough :) they sure don't make it straight forward, does SUN :)

But thats kinda what i like about it. If u work it out, you good enough to use their stuff ;)
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: run JSP in IIS

After successfully completing these instructions, IIS will work as normal, except when a JSP is encountered, it will pass it along to Tomcat, which will process and send the results back to IIS. This how-to doesn't really explain how or why things work, but rather will get you up and running quickly with a configuration that will serve most people's needs. You should definitely read the Tomcat ReadMe files for more detailed information.

The following file paths will be used in these instructions. If you install to a different directory, then you'll want to change the instructions accordingly. These seem to be the default installation directories for the programs, except for Tomcat, which doesn't mention a default installation directory.

Java: C:\JDK1.3
    Tomcat: C:\Tomcat
    isapi_redirect.dll: C:\Tomcat\bin
    IIS Root: C:\InetPub\wwwroot

Part 1: Installing JDK and Tomcat

This first part is just to get the JDK and Tomcat up and running. Tomcat works fine as a stand-alone application, so the most logical place to begin is to get it running properly by itself.

Download (from sun.com) and Install Win32 JDK 1.3 to "C:\JDK1.3"
    Download (from jakarta.apache.org) and unzip Win32 binary version of Tomcat (jakarta-tomcat) to "C:\Tomcat"
    Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties, go to Evironmental Variables* and set:

TOMCAT_HOME = C:\Tomcat
    JAVA_HOME = C:\JDK1.3

IMPORTANT: In the environmental variables, make sure "C:\JDK1.3\bin" is the first directory in your PATH. If you have installed other Java programs, they may try to put their Java Run-Time directory first, which will mess up your Tomcat installation. (It's also good to keep in mind that if you install another Java application later, it might try to change the path and mess up Tomcat)

* On Win2000, The environmental variables are found on the Computer Properties Advanced tab. If you are on Win95/98, then you probably have to edit autoexec.bat instead.

Restart the computer to finalize changes to PATH
    Go to DOS prompt, CD to C:\Tomcat\Bin and start Tomcat by typing "startup" (without the quotes). You should get a 2nd DOS window that is running Tomcat. If the 2nd window flashes and immediately closes, then something is wrong - most likely your PATH (See C:\Tomcat\logs\tomcat.log for info) You can make sure Tomcat is running by opening your browser to http://localhost:8080/ (NOTE: If you have previously installed Sun's JavaWebServer, make sure it is not running because it also uses port 8080)
    Part 2: Installing The ISAPI Redirector and jakarta Virtual Directory

In this part we are installing an ISAPI filter in IIS. What this really means is that when IIS receives a request for pages that meet certain criteria, it will hand it off to another program (Tomcat) to deal with processing, and that program will then return plain text to IIS, which is what IIS will send to the browser. We will also create a virtual directory that allows this to happen.

Download (from jakarta.apache.org) isapi_redirect.dll and copy to "C:\Tomcat\bin"
    Download and double-click isapi_redirect_nt.reg or isapi_redirect_2000.reg to import the information into your registry. (If you have used directories other than the one's specified here, then you should edit the .reg file appropriately before you double-click it). Note: You may have to reboot your PC after the registry update for changes to take effect.
    Open IIS management console and create a new virtual directory called "jakarta" and make the physical path "C:\Tomcat\bin" Make sure that this virtual directory has "Execute" permissions.
    In the IIS Management Console right-click on your machine name (not the root web) and select properties. Click the Edit button next to the "Master Properties" for the WWW Service. Select the "ISAPI Filters" tab and click "Add" Name the filter "jakarta" and for the executable, browse to C:\Tomcat\bin\isapi_redirect.dll file.
    Now go to the control panel, select Services and restart the IIS Admin service (make sure Word Wide Web Publishing Service restarts as well). After you have restarted, go back to the ISAPI filters screen and make sure that the jakarta filter has a green arrow next to it. If it does, then everything is working.
    Make sure that Tomcat is running. Open your browser to http://localhost/examples/ - you should see that Tomcat is serving this directory. There are several JSP examples which you can click on to test.
    Part 3: Configuring Tomcat to handle JSP files, and IIS to deal with everything else.

This part we are configuring two things - telling Tomcat where the JSP files are going to be found (using server.xml) and telling the ISAPI filter which pages should be redirected to Tomcat (using uriworkermap.properties)

Open C:\Tomcat\conf\Server.xml in notepad and find the line towards the bottom that looks like this:

<Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable= "true"/>
    and change it to this:
    <Context path="/" docBase="C:/InetPub/wwwroot" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
    (if that line doesn't already exist, then just add it)
    Open C:\Tomcat\conf\uriworkermap.properties with notepad. Add the following line anywhere in the file:

/*.jsp=ajp12

If you like, you can comment out the other lines that redirect the examples and servlet directories, although it doesn't hurt anything to leave them there.

Make sure that it is working by browsing to http://localhost/ to see that your normal default page is still showing up as expected. Now place a file called test.jsp (or whatever) in C:\InetPub\wwwroot and browse to http://localhost/test.jsp If you put some JSP code in there, it should execute. If you didn't, then the blank page should load. If you are prompted to download instead, then something is not working.
    That is it. The final thing you might want to do is to install Tomcat as a service so you don't have to open it in a DOS window every time. Instructions for installing the service can be found on jakarta.apache.org - look for "Working with the Jakarta NT Service" or "jk_nt_service.exe"

5. No Profile Picture

Solution

Your tomcat-apache.conf file is probably duplicating the jserv commands that are already being defined in jserv.conf.

Check your httpd.conf file. If it looks like this at the end:

# Include the configuration for Apache JServ 1.1.1
    Include "C:\Apache JServ 1.1.1\conf\jserv.conf"
    Include "c:\tomcat\conf\tomcat-apache.conf"

...then make sure you're not starting JServ in tomcat-apache.conf. Just delete any lines from tomcat-apache.conf that are already in jserv.conf.

7. No Profile Picture

400 error unless I specify the port 8080

I'm running a two computer LAN via a DSL router. When Apache and Tomcat are running, I must always specify the port 8080 after the server's IP address (or localhost), or I get an bad request error (400).

When using the port number, everything works fine.

?
  9. No Profile Picture

Re: jsdk.jar found!!!

thanks a lot...

I have been trying to get JServ running for a few hours and I think this was my problem....
  11. No Profile Picture

JSP Pages on IIS: Installing Tomcat to Work With IIS

I am also very interested in this question, and I don't exactly have the money for JRun4. I knew there must be a better solution out there and I came across this very well documented article at the following URL:
    http://www.verysimple.com/scripts/support_tc_iis.html
    Please don't get mad at me if it doesn't work because I havn't tested it yet. I have tried a solution to this about a year and a half ago and I couldn't get it to work but I never did run registry modification. I hope this works for you!
  13. No Profile Picture

error 500

Hi This article is really good but when I try to create my own jsp page/examples I get the error 500. Could someone please tell me why this is happening every time I try it? The examples work from the examples/jsp directory but even when I try to save a simple jsp file in that directory it still comes up with this error!!! please help me it's killing me!
  15. No Profile Picture

Fixing Port 8080

The problem is in th configuration files, you need to go to the server.xml under tomcat/conf
    then check the link saying the port number
    which points as 8080 ,convert that to only 80

so nect time you start it will work with http://localhost(no need 8080)

cheers
    solen
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: jsp on IIS

JBoss (j2ee container) is freeware and its web server (JBossWEB/Jetty) supports ISAPI filters developed for Tomcat to run with IIS.

This means IIS can be configured to run a JBoss application, that is a full j2ee or simple servlets/jsps.

Some info can be found here:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/iishowto.html

good luck,
    david
    w85ur@hotmail.com
  19. No Profile Picture
    Ducani

Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment

Slapping Together A JSP Development Environment

March 05, 2001 - Deploying a JSP development environment on your workstation can test even the strongest of wills, since it requires the peaceful co-existence and cooperation of a number of complex software packages. This tutorial guides you through the process of getting Apache, JServ and Tomcat configured, alerts you to some of the problems you're likely to encounter, and briefly discusses Tomcat contexts and JSP-mySQL connections. Covers both Windows and Linux.

Please discuss this article in this thread. You can read the article here .
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo