Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Format issue.

Same problems as last time.

]]>

Also, the copyright entity is being mangled on my browser (IE5.5)

Other than that it's all good stuff :-)
  3. No Profile Picture

Why do we need XML?

Dear Sir,

When we have databases(with also many features), then why do we really need XML?

Regards
    Durrani
  5. No Profile Picture

Re: Why do we need XML?

For any data model that does not fit into the relational system, you use XML. It's simple
  7. No Profile Picture

Post-relational databases have been serving multidimentional data models for decades. XML doesn't replace your database. It represents the data to external sources in a more open/portable way.

I like to think about the XML/database relationship in the same way as the HTML/text file relationship. It's still just a text file but it's much more useful.

Iconv
  9. No Profile Picture

Another benefit is the inuitive simplicity of the mark-up in an institution where most can't be bothered learning HTML. It may be possible to get The Recalcitrant to bracket their ASCII text with "plain-English" tags matched to an HTML template. This would allow these users to place information on the Web without having to wait in the queue for the Web Developer. The actual mark-up file can be very straight-forward - I am currently evaluating how difficult writing the custom back-end processing is, versus, simple PHP interfaces to database tables. Whoever wins gets the job. (I find SQL tedious and unforgiving).

11. No Profile Picture

good work

i must congratulate you, for this very fine tutorial in plain simple english and good examples. Thanks very much for explaining the facts to many developers like me.
  13. No Profile Picture

Universal namespace

If "stock" = inventory stock and
    If "stock" = stock market stocks
    in seperate systems

What is to prevent:

inventory stock = "available"
    in system a and

inventory stock = "on_hand" in system b and

inventory stock = "quantity" in system c etc.

The addition of namespace just fragments things further, the result being an over all complicated jumble of code as meaningless if not more meaningless than the fragmentation inherent in language itself... that XML was intended to rectify.

Bob and Joe, or Pete and Tom or whoever, druk or not, should not have to get together and compare systems to make them interoperable.

This free for all type application of XML needs reighning in with some absolute and unwavering standardization where, for example "invstock" means inventory stock and never anything else and "mktstock" means stock market stock and never anything else and nothing else can ever mean inventory stock except "invstock" use of "supply" or "onhand" or "available" or "instorage" or anything else should be invalid.

I have no problem with proprietary applications of XML but there should also be a standardized universal XML that makes interoperability a given.

For example: a very simple universal XML subject code system similar in function to the dewey decimal system in libraries would make it much easier to find information on the web...

But really. what use is this if everyone uses a different code with a different namespace for something as simple as the category or subject "energy"? no use whatsoever.

Does the use of "My:energy" and "My:power" and "My:volts" along with energy, power, electricity, "Your:energy", "His:energy" etc. and anything else anybody can think of serve any purpose in terms of universality and interoperability?
  15. No Profile Picture

You also can think of XML as a standard serialization format for exchanging complex data through files or over a network. It is a convenient way to define protocols too.
  17. No Profile Picture

Please review code

Hello ,

Can someone please view at this code ,so I
    can check if I understood XML ??
    I have to create a programm which can
    read(via ODBC) in a loop a file ,per file a record , per record a fieldname and fieldvalue (of the same field) from an AS/400. How can I fill the XML-document ?
    Is it done by using Visual Basic or another programming-language like PHP ????
    Thank you very much in advance for the answer
    Kind regards : Marc P. Mail to :
    m.peters@eagle-ict.com
  19. No Profile Picture

Please review code

Hello ,

Can someone please view at this code ,so I
    can check if I understood XML ??
    I have to create a programm which can
    read(via ODBC) in a loop a file ,per file a record , per record a fieldname and fieldvalue (of the same field) from an AS/400. How can I fill the XML-document ?
    Is it done by using Visual Basic or another programming-language like PHP ????
    Did I use the entity's and ampersands in the
    right way ?? (See below)

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE library=”RF400BST”
    [
          <!ENTITY Filename>
          <!ENTITY Record>
          <!ENTITY Fieldname>
          <!ENTITY Fieldvalue> 
    ]>

<Data_exchange>
    <File>&Filename;</File>
    <Record>&Record;</Record>
    <Fieldname>&Fieldname</Fieldname>
    <Fieldvalue>&Fieldvalue</Fieldvalue>
    &Fieldvalue;
    &Fieldname;
    &Record;
    &Filename;
    </Data_exchange>
    Thank you very much in advance for the answer
    Kind regards : Marc P. Mail to :
    m.peters@eagle-ict.com

21. No Profile Picture

A good article as far as it went, but as I often find with these kind of 'introductions' to a language, there was no real investigation into the practical use of XML. I may just be stupid (hell, I KNOW I am) but once the data is put into an XML markup, what do you do with it? Can you call it into a html page, and if so how? I think following the process through to the finished result, even in a simple example, would have made a more rounded tutorial.

As it is, I could write an XML document, but I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it.
  23. No Profile Picture

Spooky feeling.

Got an eerie feeling as someone was holding my hand throughout the article.
    Thankyou very much. Looking forward for some more tlc ( tutorial coverage)
    Ellora
  25. No Profile Picture
  27. No Profile Picture
  29. No Profile Picture

good work

thanks for explaining this stuff to me... Though i've yet to understand the full potential or usefulness of XML, but anyway you made it really simple and fun.

thanks again,
    sanchit bhatnagar,
    india.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo