Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Printing This Page

When I print the "Printer Friendly Version," my print driver is parsing the perl script from the first page to the 3rd page. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a work around that anyone knows of?
  3. No Profile Picture

Re: Printing This Page

Well, I did it. This is how. I'm sorry if it sounds like a commercial for another site, but this is how I printed the page without my printer driver parsing the perl and php scripts.

I saved print.html as print.rtf on my machine. I went to www.fax4free.com, and faxed it to myself. It came out just fine.

Jeff
  5. No Profile Picture

Story is way to brief

the article is filled with lots of information for newbies , but as far as it being productive i tend to see the author rushed throught writing this article.
    <br>
    <br>
    Mysql tables are mentioned a few times , but yet there is no reference at all what you need in Mysql to make this work.
    <br>
    <br>
    Well, it is still nice that there is a site to help you gain knowledge .. but its a shame that not all topics are step by step like some of the topics here.
  7. No Profile Picture

Re: Story is way to brief

I agree there should have been more explanation on how to get the tables set up in mysql, and we should probably point to existing documentation about the subjects (such as the cookie function, the mysql setup, etc.). We'll keep that in mind for future articles.
    <br>
    <br>
    Duncan, would you mind posting the mysql table information here? It would be a big help.
    <br>
    <br>
  9. No Profile Picture

<P>Not to sound like a teacher or anything but I thought this story was made to introduce us to the subject. Once we are introduced to it, we would go and buy/borrow books on mySQL and PHP in order to figure this out ourselves.</P>
    <br>

<br>
    <P>We are designers and programmers are we not? We're architects that have to plan and design our own plans using knowledge we learn from sites such as devshed.</P>
    <br>

<br>
    <P>The best way to learn something isn't to cut and paste someone else's work. The best thing to do is to figure it out ourselves.</P>
  11. No Profile Picture

MySQL Table for the article

I apologize for the oversight. I intended for the table structure to be on the first page, but I must have neglected to include it. Here is how it should look: The fictional database is named "project". This is a dump of what the table contains:

<!-- Code -->
    <p><pre><font color=#008000><xmp>
    CREATE TABLE users (
    login char(16) NOT NULL,
    password char(10) NOT NULL,
    lastlogin date DEFAULT '0000-00-00' NOT NULL,
    news1 char(20),
    news2 char(20),
    news3 char(20),
    PRIMARY KEY (login),

);
    </xmp></font></pre><p>
    <!-- Code -->

The article may seem a bit fast, but there's quite a bit of useful information which had to be included. As I stated on the last page, the application described is barely completed, and could use quite a bit more fleshing out. I could include more examples of code illustrating just that if there's interest. The intent of the article was to show the concepts in action, and to spark your own ideas of how they could be used. Please let me know any comments you may have.
  13. No Profile Picture

Just what I needed

Good Job. Nothing that I did not already know was left out. I was sketchy on how to use cookies with php, but I understand now.
    <br>
    Thank you for the help.
  15. No Profile Picture

well thats all nice accept when you are currently studying MySQL and PHP3 , but would love to use something a reference .. its one thing to read a book on karate and another to see the teacher show you the moves ..
    <br>
    <br>
    right ?
  17. No Profile Picture

In akido I've seen my teacher show us something basic like what devshed did and had us learn and practice on our own: reading the book and applying what was learned. We built on what he showed us. He was the book and we were the students. I studied him patiently and learned the basic moves first. In the end, we figured out what moves flowed with what blocks. Swing dancing is the same thing except your partner is a computer. In the end we gain our own style.
    <br>

<br>
    Like I said before, we are computer architects and engineers. We must design something uniquely our own.
  19. No Profile Picture

ok Mark you win :)
    <br>
    <br>
    point well taken ...
    <br>
    but we are artists also :)
    <br>
    <br>
    thanks.
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: MySQL Table for the article

Duncan ,
    <br>
    <br>
    thanks for donating some time to us newbies learning php and mysql :)
    <br>
    <br>
    im about ready to play around with some of the code and see if i can get it to work ..
    <br>
    thanks again man.
    <br>
    <br>
    i'll post a follow up.
    <br>
    <br>
    much appreciated,
    <br>
    kabok
  23. No Profile Picture

the table

im using this table for the example that was posted

<!-- Code -->

CREATE TABLE users (
    login char(16) NOT NULL,
    password char(10) NOT NULL,
    lastlogin date DEFAULT '0000-00-00' NOT NULL,
    news1 char(20),
    news2 char(20),
    news3 char(20),
    PRIMARY KEY (login),
    );

</xmp></font></pre><p>
    <!-- Code -->

but i keep getting this errors :ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ')' at line 9

any suggestions ?

25. No Profile Picture

Re: the table

Take out the last comma - looks like a typo on my part. Specifically, make

<!-- Code -->
    PRIMARY KEY (login),
    </xmp></font></pre><p>
    <!-- Code -->

look like

<!-- Code -->
    PRIMARY KEY (login)
    </xmp></font></pre><p>
    <!-- Code -->

without that last comma.

27. No Profile Picture

thanks duncan . im heading home from work so i will try it when i get there :)
  29. No Profile Picture

That's good news, I promise you'll learn quite a bit. Feel free to contact me directly if you need some one on one help. My email is lambd@wwisp.com .
    <br>
    <br>
    Duncan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo