1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which of these 4 PHP eCommerce solutions?

I'm about to dive into a couple ecommerce projects and would like to hear recommendations and experiences you guys have had with the following PHP ecommerce solutions:

Wordpress - I've found some ecommerce plugins, but how well does Wordpress do in the long run as an ecommerce solution?

Drupal - I've had bad experiences getting into Drupal. For that reason, I've always avoided it, but I'd still like to hear how it does as an ecommerce platform if anyone has experiences to share.

Magento - I've heard horror stories about performance, but this sounds very feature rich.

OSCommerce. I've only heard bad things about OSCommerce, if you have any experiences, good or bad, please tell!

Here are a few items of interest in my search:
    • flexible coupon system. I.e. specify that a coupon is effective from date a through date b, or specify that a coupon of amount abc only be applied if the total purchase price is above xyz.
    • easy paypal integration
    • easy to customize the site's theme
    • reliable

Look forward to hearing your recommendations, thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your existing assessments are fairly accurate.

I would be concerned about the long term viability of wordpress as an e-commerce platform, considering that e-commerce definitely isn't it's primary focus.

Drupal sites usually don't really turn out the way you want them to, and I've encountered a lot of code-quality issues in the contributed Drupal modules. Plus, performance is definitely not one of Drupal's strong points.

Magento is very feature rich, but suffers from many of the same problems as Drupal. It's two problems are performance, and the fact that it's code is too complex for its own good. As with Drupal it's possible to alleviate some of the performance issues with caching.

OSCommerce is messy, I don't recommend using it.

You might also want to look at X-Cart; I don't have any experience with it though so I can't say whether it is better or worse than these others.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your feedback. So, what eCommerce platform do you feel most comfortable with?

I've decided to start with Magento. It installed pretty easily and I'm looking forward to seeing how difficult it is to customize the theme.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

At the moemnt, Magento is probably the"best" out there. When I say best I don't mean easiest, it's far from that. But, when you get to knwo it you can customise most things, and add new sections as you want to. Learning Magento is a huge undertaking. I haven't done much of it yet (thankfully I haven't needed to yet), but I know that digging under the hood takes a lot of patience, a fair bit of knowledge, and a lot of spare hair (for pulling out in frustration).

I've used CubeCart and while that's not bad it doesn't do anything that OSCommerce doesn't, and is not worth the money. There's a lot more carts out there, but most of them are either really badly written, impossible to modify/extend or just to expensive.
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by Username=NULL
    I'm about to dive into a couple ecommerce projects and would like to hear recommendations and experiences you guys have had with the following PHP ecommerce solutions:

Wordpress - I've found some ecommerce plugins, but how well does Wordpress do in the long run as an ecommerce solution?

Drupal - I've had bad experiences getting into Drupal. For that reason, I've always avoided it, but I'd still like to hear how it does as an ecommerce platform if anyone has experiences to share.

Magento - I've heard horror stories about performance, but this sounds very feature rich.

OSCommerce. I've only heard bad things about OSCommerce, if you have any experiences, good or bad, please tell!

Here are a few items of interest in my search:
    • flexible coupon system. I.e. specify that a coupon is effective from date a through date b, or specify that a coupon of amount abc only be applied if the total purchase price is above xyz.
    • easy paypal integration
    • easy to customize the site's theme
    • reliable

Look forward to hearing your recommendations, thanks!
    I would like to suggest you to Integrate your ecommerce site with asp.net software.
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by sonyadsouza
    I would like to suggest you to Integrate your ecommerce site with asp.net software.
    Care to explain why??

The systems that the OP has listed are all PHP/MySQL based, so that does lead me to belive that a .NET Application (which would have to be running on a Windows server if I'm not mistaken) would pretty much be out of the question as 99.999% of the PHP solutions that are available are run from Linux.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

marketplace solution

if you have an ecommerce website, you should try the marketplace solution. You can combine different vendors into your marketplace, it will function like amazon, orders will be automatically transferred to vendors. Finally, you earn commission from each sale. This solution takes care of every step of online trade, including payment. It is a high customized solution allows you use widget to change your page/theme. You can search The MP Factory website for more details. Hope it will correspond your needs.

Comments on this post

• Catacaustic disagrees : Thanks for adding nothing at all to the converstation.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo