1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Alternative to Amaya

I think Amaya could be great.

I would like to use it for creating web sites (I'm a beginner) and for writing articles in HTML that will later get posted to the web.

But Amaya always frustrates me. My current issue is that it crashes on me frequently and hasn't been updated in a long time.

Is there something like Amaya (wysiwyg html+css editing) that you would recommend? I'm using Windows.

BTW, I was using Google Docs for writing HTML+CSS articles and that was great, so I'm disappointed that they have deprecated that version of their docs editor.
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Amaya... the name sounded familiar, but I admit I had to look it up.

I don't believe Amaya is actually meant to be used, per se; I think it's more of the W3C's wonkish proof-of-concept vehicle for some of their more esoteric ivory tower ideas (like XForms, for example).

Honestly, if you're authoring HTML & CSS, just go download one of many open source HTML / Javascript / CSS / etc integrated development environments (IDE's). There are scores of them. Search this forum for IDE, you'll come across tons of solid recommendations.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Nvu, KompoZer, Mozilla Seamonkey are just a few that I found that offer WYSIWYG editing.

Nvu
    KompoZer
    Mozilla Seamonkey
  7. No Profile Picture

I agree that Amaya is "more of the W3C's wonkish proof-of-concept vehicle" but it has also been tantalizingly close to a great WYSIWYG editor.

I've tried those other editors in the past, but they have tended to have the same problem: lots of potential but they aren't well maintained and are buggy.
  9. Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by TomAtom
    I agree that Amaya is "more of the W3C's wonkish proof-of-concept vehicle" but it has also been tantalizingly close to a great WYSIWYG editor.

I've tried those other editors in the past, but they have tended to have the same problem: lots of potential but they aren't well maintained and are buggy.

If you've run into issues w/ the open source options, there is really only one way to go: commercial. Buy Dreamweaver; it's best of breed, and handles HTML, CSS, Javascript, and accommodates most server-side languages as well. Personally, I'm a big fan of Eclipse (which is free & open source), which you might want to give a whirl before settling on DW.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by drgroove
    If you've run into issues w/ the open source options, there is really only one way to go: commercial. Buy Dreamweaver; it's best of breed, and handles HTML, CSS, Javascript, and accommodates most server-side languages as well. Personally, I'm a big fan of Eclipse (which is free & open source), which you might want to give a whirl before settling on DW.
    I use and like Eclipse, but I'm not aware of a WYSIWYG HTML editor for it?
  13. Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by TomAtom
    I use and like Eclipse, but I'm not aware of a WYSIWYG HTML editor for it?
    I've seen some plug-ins for Eclipse that provide this, can't recall their names OtToMH though.

Here's another list of WYSIWYG HTML editors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...YSIWYG_editors
  15. Contributing User

I am not a fan of WYSIWYG editors (rather have full control when coding). I did try a few WYSIWYG programs when I first started out such Trellian, Kompozer, Coffecup Free, and Pagebreeze. They all had their shortcomings, except for Dreamweaver which I recommend (expensive). I have a friend who told me that the new Coffecup 2011 ($49) is much improved, I think they have a 30 day trial or something.

Hope this helps!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo