1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Application Server Performance

Hi people...

I'm looking for some recent benchmarks about J2EE application servers (lastest versions if possible). Any link? Any opinion?

Thanks in advance...
    -DdC
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This is a decent review of BEA Weblogic 8.1, w/ a ranking at the bottom of other web app servers.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1218574,00.asp

My pref leans towards BEA (over Websphere), as it handles Struts more readily, and tends to use more recent versions of Java/JSP/J2EE/etc than Websphere.

Of course, this is assuming you have the 10K/CPU to shell out... if not, Tomcat 5.0 is prolly the best route to go.

[edit]
    for the record, ATG Dynamo and Apache Tomcat aren't reviewed in that article...
    [/edit]
    Last edited by drgroove; February 3rd, 2004 at 10:18 PM.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks drgroove, but what do you mean with "10K/CPU to shell out"?

Another thing: this article doesn't show any charts or number to clonclude that WebLogic is the best AppServer. I found a link with that information, but the versions tested are not the lastest and the bechkmark is based only on the Servlet Container.

http://webperformanceinc.com/library/ServletReport/
    -DdC
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

10K/CPU == $10,000 per CPU.

Thats the license cost for BEA's Weblogic. IBM's Websphere has a very similar pricing structure. If your company doesn't have that kind of cash to shell out, use Tomcat, or possibly Sun's iPlanet/SunONE app server, or JBoss, or something else.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo