1. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I too would love a PC text editor with Secure FTP. I use UltraEdit, and I love it, but when I asked about possible SSH support for FTP, they said it probably wouldn't be a top priority.

Maybe if a few of us sent some nice letters mentioning how great it would be for UltraEdit to support encryption, what with security being a top priority among developers nowadays...

www.ultraedit.com
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I just downloaded ConTEXT and have to say so far it's AWESOME! It's like a HomeSite replica and I think much better designed. Flipping between syntax highlighting from language to language is cool and it saves editor settings without many problems.

Great find!

-S
  5. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet

I use UltraEdit too, I love it, the only thing I really miss is multi-line string syntax highlighting.
    And now a quote for the notepad-users:
    Notepad users are newbies who want to pose as pro's
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I'll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  7. No Profile Picture
    Polynesian Monkey God

Red face

I really don't see what all the fuss is...

Basically, you should code with any editor that you feel comfortable editting with!

If I'm on a PC, I prefer to have line-numbering and code-coloring; typically, all the other features just get in the way, in my opinion.

As for Linux, I still use pine, just because I do more touch-up editting than full-blown coding on my Linux box. I've heard lots of people talk about how great emacs is, but (like I said above) I'm not comfortable with the editing and functioning shortcuts and don't want to spend the time learning to use a different editor in an environment that I honestly don't do that much coding on.

And when on a Mac,... well, why the hell would I be on a Mac.

For anyone who is just getting into programming and has chosen to learn how with PHP, I would suggest phpEdit or some other program that is basically geared toward PHP and has line numbering. If you're looking to do SSH FTP, then in my opinion, you should get a FTP program that focuses on secure transfers, not an edit program; it's like buying a toaster with an email terminal.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Re: what do you code php in?

Originally posted by calebdzahnd
    Hey all, I was just wondering what everyone codes their PHP in, and if there was a decent freeware or cheap program or IDE out there that was really good for PHP.

I started just using plain old notepad, but switched to Macromedia's Dreamweaver because it puts line numbers in for you and color codes your code.

What do you use?
    HTML-Kit is probably one of the best environments I've used. It's got a handy file explorer, upload capabilities, and numerous plug-ins that can increase your productivity. Check it out at http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Good luck!
  11. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Guys, dont bring up old topics.... last post on 09-27-2001 and then TotolMonkey replies on 11-09-2001 which is 45 days after...
    And you know I mean that.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Polynesian Monkey God

oops!! I'll confine my yammering to the Flash forum from now on!
  15. Is a Psycho

Allaire Homesite 5.0... extremely easy to use has very powerful search and replace (across open documents and / or files). Otherwise I use notepad or GVim 6.0 (mostley cause of the Diff capability) for really quick touch ups.

VIM in linux when I am using linux or some other *nix variant.
    Last edited by deepspring; November 10th, 2001 at 06:44 AM.
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  17. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

19. funky munky

Can we add a list of PHP editors to the FAQ mods? This question seems to come up again and again too!

http://www.hotscripts.com/Tools_and_...ors/index.html
    Last edited by munkfish; November 10th, 2001 at 09:00 AM.
  21. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

yeah...it's there...

---John Holmes...
  23. No Profile Picture

jEdit

25. No Profile Picture
    Call me... master.

Angry BBEdit revisited.

Of course, someone comes on here who's pro-Macintosh and somebody else HAS to tell us how inferior the Mac is. It's a computer, lighten up.

BBEdit is a great editor, even better on OS X than on previous Mac operating systems. I use it for HTML, PERL, PHP, SQL, and sometimes just for simple documents. It provides text coloring available for a wide range of languages, HTML generation utilities, tight integration with MacPERL, and a nice healthy toolkit including concatenation functions, multi-file/folder (batch) search and/or replace, support for GREP-style regular expressions, some file conversion utilities, and not a bit of extraneous interface to distract you from your work. (Plus direct loading and saving via FTP as mentioned before).

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO USE MACS, definitely try out BBEdit. I find it to be an incredibly robust and valuable tool.

For those of you who don't use macs, well, you've got lots of options, enjoy.
  27. No Profile Picture
    me,myself&I

Notepad users are newbies who want to pose as pro's
    are you so sure, taradino?
  29. funky munky

I think he was referring to the hardcore hacker wannabes who say they use notepad for editing code because it sounds 'l33t', when in fact they use frontpage express and only pretend to code. :P

Personally I find notepad ridiculously limited for extended coding sessions, but then again it's nice that notepad is always (usually) available on any windows system you might visit. Unless of course you only want to open one file per window, you don't want to do search and replace easily, you don't want to see the line numbers whilst you're debugging code (although of course l33t hackers don't do debugging, do they?), you don't want to upload via ftp and most importantly you don't want to save time.

So out of curiousity is notepad for xp any better than for win95?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo