1. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Onslaught - I'll give that one a go - I'm torn between UE and Editplus really, although I must admit I do like the 'solid' feel of ultraedit, somehow feels less flimsy than editplus. Mmm - maybe slickedit's the one to tempt me away from both of em (plus if they do a linux ver that's a bonus)

Or... maybe I should just get vi for win32 - I still have some hair left to tear out yet hehe
  3. No Profile Picture
    Polynesian Monkey God
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

vi? thank yer lucky stars it's not IDD!

yeah, i always thought vi was "the very center of EviL", but then at work I had to use this line-editor called "IDD Online" for working with "ADS/O" and IDMS databases (COBOL/mainframe insanity).

If you ever think anything available for Winblows or *nix is bad, just look at some of the crap they unload on mainframe programmers! I'm surprised IBM or Computer Associates haven't yet come up with an editor that randomly remaps your keyboard and doesn't display the keystrokes, then save everything in octal-based Kanji characters. If they ever do, some big-whig A-hole where I work will pay millions to license it!

(sorry for venting)

TotalMonkey!
  5. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm surprised IBM or Computer Associates haven't yet come up with an editor that randomly remaps your keyboard and doesn't display the keystrokes, then save everything in octal-based Kanji characters.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!

I remember using that line editor once that vi was built on, can't remember the name of it now, 'ed' is it? That was pretty funky in a 'mmm, so what now... ah, coffee break' kind of way.
  7. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Originally posted by munkfish
    Onslaught - I'll give that one a go - I'm torn between UE and Editplus really, although I must admit I do like the 'solid' feel of ultraedit, somehow feels less flimsy than editplus. Mmm - maybe slickedit's the one to tempt me away from both of em (plus if they do a linux ver that's a bonus)

Or... maybe I should just get vi for win32 - I still have some hair left to tear out yet hehe
    Honestly, the only reason that I know about it, is that when I started at the company I am currently at, most of the projects that I was on dealt primarily on Linux (thankfully), and I researched for a reliable editor for use over an x-server. The programmer that I am teamed with uses it and swung me over to it because it works on multiple os's so you don't have to keep learning new editors to do the same time. Plus the fact that you can have multiple projects and multiple buffers for each projects just kind of takes the cake with me.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by MkJnr

can you see what your page looks like in the editor, like in dreamweaver + where could I get a copy of the trial version

Cheers,

Mk

Yup, it has a WYSIWYG just like DW. Trial version you can get from macromedia themselves (although mine was on a demo CD).

http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/trial/

Be sure to pick up the PHP Rocket tool from here as well which (and i quote):
    Allows you to execute PHP code right inside of FrontPage and displays the results in the FrontPage Preview window. Turn FrontPage into a full development environment for dynamic web sites.
    URL for that plugin is:

http://www.totalpconline.com/phprocketaddin/

Good luck
  11. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet

Ehm, has anyone of you ever edited with TECO?
    From what I've heard about it, it's about the worst editor possible.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  13. No Profile Picture
    Dreaming in Digital, but it's better than nothing.

Re: color settings

Originally posted by ais
    Ultraedit has line numbers but I was diappointed not to see PHP color formatting (like on this board). I figure if I am going to change, I may as well get the colour coding aid.

So... to save me downloading and trying out all the options could someone please tell me which ones have linenumbers and colour coding.

TIA
    It doesn't have php colouring? mine does, just click here and get the php4 wordfile, or go here and see what you want, then find your own wordfile on the installed copy of ultraedit, go to the bottom of the file and paste the php4 wordfile contents into it. then run ultraedit, click view/view as (highlighting filetype)/php
    and you will be good to go

regards
    Kal
  15. No Profile Picture
    Code Junky

Wow.. all these editors.. didn't see HomeSite mentioned, but did see someone using BBEdit..

guess it really shows the number of available text based IDE's floating around out there..

it all comes down to what you're comfortable with, what gives you the tools you want..

I've been using HomeSite from day 1.. still do.. has everything I need and some things I don't.. but what it doesn't have that I need.. I can generally add myself...

-- clearly, I use HomeSite, and have recently tried a hand-full of other apps, like PHPCoder, Zend Studio, and Maguma Studio.

I think the Zend Studio 2.0 is pretty nicely done.. but I'm so used to HomeSite.. that I find myself in "old faithful"...

PHPCoder, and Maguma Studio (one-in-the same now)..
    PHPCoder was stable.. but Maguma liked to crash a lot.. (win2k pro).

It's all in what makes you feel comfortable, is stable, and gives you the tools you want/need.

-- While on the subject of editors, I've noticed over the last few years a similarity in some "third party authored scripts".. the use of a line like:

/* $Id: config.inc.php,v 1.62 2001/12/23 23:05:23 lem9 Exp $ */

found in the comments (generally the first few lines) - the above came from PHPMyAdmin's config file.

Now, I can clearly tell what it is..but wondering if it's an application created marker, or if it's something that all these guys
    are manually putting into the file(s).. frankly, I'd come closer to believing it's a software written tag from some IDE..

anyone know what app does this? (if it's an app)
  17. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

/* $Id: config.inc.php,v 1.62 2001/12/23 23:05:23 lem9 Exp $ */

found in the comments (generally the first few lines) - the above came from PHPMyAdmin's config file.

Now, I can clearly tell what it is..but wondering if it's an application created marker, or if it's something that all these guys
    are manually putting into the file(s).. frankly, I'd come closer to believing it's a software written tag from some IDE..

anyone know what app does this? (if it's an app)
    It is a cvs version control marker. It is placed in the program's code by the cvs system to help keep track of what the version is and the filename. i.e.
    filename id = config.inc.php
    version = 1.62
    date = 2001/12/23
    time 23:05:23
    user lem9
  19. No Profile Picture
    Code Junky

onslaught, thanks for the reply.. I was reasonably sure what the marker information contained.

Just no idea where it was coming from.. and with so many different apps with a similar marker.. I knew it had to be an app of some kind.

where does one come into a system like that? I seem to have a bad habbit of "forgetting" to update my source headers.. sometimes I do really well, but other times.. ouch.. and it's always those times when I forget.. that hurt.
  21. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

There is plenty of information on the cvs home site:
    cvshome.org
    You can also search google and come up with multiple links.
    I know there is also a version for windoze that can be found at:
    wincvs.org
  23. No Profile Picture
    Code Junky

Cool.. thanks..
  25. No Profile Picture

i use Note-Extender ....

small, yet powerfull, add-on to your windowsn Notepad

what do you get?

Line Numbers
    Find and Replace
    No File Size Limit

size: 200K !

http://www.code-development.com/Down...t4download.htm
  27. No Profile Picture
    Code Junky

Humm.. what do I get.. HomeSite 5

multi-paned active explorer window
    source color coding
    extensisble development environment
    expression builder
    snipits
    code sweeper(s)
    extended find/replace - open and non-open document(s)
    multi-view - (split pane of working document)
    line numbering

need I go on

I say one should use what works for them.. some like more, while some like less.. IMO it doesn't matter what you code in, it's the end product that really matters.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I use PHPed now, seems pretty good, got it off download.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo