1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Coding Standards and Best Practices

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a large topic area when talking about coding standards and best practices. I would gratefully appreciate some constructive feedback on this area. To give you a heads-up, I'm designing and developing a team-based tool that aims to help with coding standards and best practices. It's currently called RuleX.

If you have a moment, it would be gratefully appreciated if I can get your opinion on these few questions?

1. If you could have a coding standards analysis tool, what areas of your code would you like to check specifically?

2. Is there a particular language that you wish you could analyse? For example, HTML, Javascript or C++.

3. What appeals to you the most in a coding standards / best practices tool - speed, presentation, features?

4. What do you find missing from your day to day coding?

Thank you for your help.

Simon.
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by diagramatic
    1. If you could have a coding standards analysis tool, what areas of your code would you like to check specifically?
    Adherence to a discrete, defined set of coding standards. The ability to detect that a class has implemented a common Design Pattern, and that it's structure follows a standard implementation that pattern; or, notification that a class implements an Anti-Pattern, with recommendations on alternate approaches.
    2. Is there a particular language that you wish you could analyse? For example, HTML, Javascript or C++.
    I'd love to see a free/open-source PHP coding standards tool, which functions as a plug-in to Eclipse.
    3. What appeals to you the most in a coding standards / best practices tool - speed, presentation, features?
    Ease of use, both in defining my organization's coding standards, as well as parsing through developed code to check for adherence to those standards.
    4. What do you find missing from your day to day coding?
    The ability to auto-generate Unit Tests for all public interfaces. Hand-writing test cases... well, it gets kinda repetitive.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo