1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Considerations for Doc Management

Hi Folks,

I hope I have jumped into the correct forum. I have too many concerns and too many possible solutions (and no experience).

We are a service-oriented forklift company. I would like to implement:

- An FAQ ("Q: How often should I change the engine oil in my lift truck? A: Most manufacturers recommend regular maintenance at 200 hour intervals.") The FAQ's would have links to a Knowledgebase with full-blown technical articles.

- A Quarterly Newsletter whose articles would be archived in the KB. (A whole new project or part of the solution to above?). Recipients of the newsletter should have the opportunity to opt-in when using the FAQ and/or KB. A courtesy confirmation email as well as an mechanism for opt-out is needed.

A SEO-friendly script is also a must as it would be a shame to hide the rich content that is pertinent to our site.

What considerations should be paramount for this project? That is, I have a Wish-List, where do I go from here?

Our host is Aplus. They have PHP/MySQL. I am familiar with SQL and VBA, and am slowly migrating to PHP.

Thanks to all for any advice.

-John
  3. Contributing User

The regulars on here are probably sick of me mentioning the "D" word, but Drupal (http://drupal.org can be set up to handle all of these requirements (some contributed modules needed though). The RDF modules for Drupal make it easy to "formalize" the knowledge to an extent, making the KB machine readable too.

Most content management systems meet these requirements, or are close enough as a good starting point.
    Latery Matey
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the suggestion. A full-blown Content Manager is a bit more than I need and want to manage. I can't afford the time to learn a something new, as I am under the gun to get this live.

I think I will go with PHPKB. It is open source and should fufill my minimum requirements with little effort.

Thanks you
    -John

Originally Posted by l8rm8e
    The regulars on here are probably sick of me mentioning the "D" word, but Drupal (http://drupal.org can be set up to handle all of these requirements (some contributed modules needed though). The RDF modules for Drupal make it easy to "formalize" the knowledge to an extent, making the KB machine readable too.

Most content management systems meet these requirements, or are close enough as a good starting point.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo