1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Crystal Reports Alternative??

We are currently looking for an alternative to crystal reports. The reason we are looking for another solution is for web based reporting. We recently priced the licensing for this and found it extremely high. We probably could spend some time redoing the reports in asp and serve them that way but we would rather have software solution that we don't have to spend months coding and get at a fair cost. Also we would like the ability to import the reports we have already designed and used. Please let me know if anyone has found a reasonable alternative, thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture

Question crystal reports alternative

we also find crystal reports over-complicated, over bloat-wared, and over-priced. If you find an alternative ( eg Report Designer that end-user can use + reports viewing engine that can integrate with C++ Builder etc) let us know!
  5. No Profile Picture

LogiXML Report is a free reporting tool

Originally Posted by KoKopuffz
    We are currently looking for an alternative to crystal reports. The reason we are looking for another solution is for web based reporting. We recently priced the licensing for this and found it extremely high. We probably could spend some time redoing the reports in asp and serve them that way but we would rather have software solution that we don't have to spend months coding and get at a fair cost. Also we would like the ability to import the reports we have already designed and used. Please let me know if anyone has found a reasonable alternative, thank you.
    LGX Report is a free reporting tool for web based reporting. You may find more information at http://www.reporting4free.com. I am affiliated with LogiXML, but anyway, I would appreciate your feedback on the product.
  7. No Profile Picture

I would recommend Bluyah

There's a good online tool called Bluyah- it has a free trial, and the subscription rates are low.
  9. No Profile Picture

I like Bluyah too

I like bluyah (bluyah-dot-com) too. The tool allows simple reporting based upon various data sources (Database, RSS, XML, Spreadsheet) and can format the output into either a tabular report for printing, or (based upon the content of your report) can be formatted into a chart, Google Map, or marquee for embedding into a website.

One feature that is severely underrated is the ability to transform data into XML on the fly. We use it for fetching data from one system and importing into another system (via the XML transformation).

Crystal can't do that
  11. No Profile Picture

KoKopuffz,

If your data is in mySQL you could use nuBuilder which has a Report Writer with it, the whole thing works in a web-browser and is completely open source.

Steve
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi,
    I have been using FastReports for the last 5 years. I think its suits what you need.
    Hope it will help.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KoKopuffz
    We are currently looking for an alternative to crystal reports. The reason we are looking for another solution is for web based reporting. We recently priced the licensing for this and found it extremely high.
    Our consulting clients also had this problem: the CR server pricing is ridiculous and the user interface is junk! 5 years after this initial post and nothing good has come from this product.

So we decided to create our own Universal Report Server. I don't want to spam, so you can get the details and demo at www.versareports.com.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Directory of Freelancers... Now in over 30 countries! Are You In It?
    VersaReports - Universal Web Report Server for .NET - Try It Now!
  17. No Profile Picture

Question Looking for custom report generation for highly text dynamic, client-facing reports

Originally Posted by amf
    So we decided to create our own Universal Report Server. I don't want to spam, so you can get the details and demo at
    Been reading through discussions about software that generates reports but I'm not sure that I've found one yet that is able to produce the type of printable report I need. This report is going to contain a static page template in-which different text (dynamic content) will appear based off of the results of a .NET analytical engine. However, there can be many different permutations to the text content (in any one place the dynamic content may contain multiple possibilities, such as sentence1, sentence2, sentence3, or sentence4) and each page may contain over 400 different possible configurations due to all the dynamic content. What's more, all the dynamic content has to be formatted precisely within graphical elements on the page (which is difficult because the dynamic content is not all the same length) and it has to look professional because this report will be client-facing.

If anyone has any recommendations on software that can accomplish this, please let me know. I am considering Crystal Reports and the other options discussed on this forum but I was hoping for software that had a much more robust UI into which I could design the page layout template as well as input all the possibilities for the dynamic content (and then link each of those sentences to a possible result from an analytical engine which is being built in .NET).

Thank you for all your suggestions!
  19. No Profile Picture

"Jasper Reports" is a java based reporting platform which is more or less Open Source's answer to Crystal Reports. We use it at my work place for high end reporting, and it does the job well. I recommend it (particularly for the price tag... free!)
  21. No Profile Picture

Crystal Reports Alternative

Originally Posted by depsyphered
    "Jasper Reports" is a java based reporting platform which is more or less Open Source's answer to Crystal Reports. We use it at my work place for high end reporting, and it does the job well. I recommend it (particularly for the price tag... free!)
    We've been using 2 BI reporting solutions at our company for over 10 years now. Our Super Users and IT developers use Crystal Reports. For them it is a great product because they understand database design, structures, relationships, joins, and SQL.

The other BI tool we use is Stonefield Query. This product is designed for our "casual users" like the executives, managers, and business analysts. It gives them the ability to create and run their own ad-hoc reports from scratch without needing to know anything about programming. Stonefield Query let's them produce row and column reports, cross-tab reports, charts/graphs, labels, etc. You can hook SQ up to virtually any database application. It also comes with built in scheduling. SQ can even run Crystal reports.

Bottom line, if you want your users to be happy give them the right BI tool that matches their skill set.

Hope this helps a bit.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Darwin1
    Been reading through discussions about software that generates reports but I'm not sure that I've found one yet that is able to produce the type of printable report I need. This report is going to contain a static page template in-which different text (dynamic content) will appear based off of the results of a .NET analytical engine. However, there can be many different permutations to the text content (in any one place the dynamic content may contain multiple possibilities, such as sentence1, sentence2, sentence3, or sentence4) and each page may contain over 400 different possible configurations due to all the dynamic content. What's more, all the dynamic content has to be formatted precisely within graphical elements on the page (which is difficult because the dynamic content is not all the same length) and it has to look professional because this report will be client-facing.

If anyone has any recommendations on software that can accomplish this, please let me know. I am considering Crystal Reports and the other options discussed on this forum but I was hoping for software that had a much more robust UI into which I could design the page layout template as well as input all the possibilities for the dynamic content (and then link each of those sentences to a possible result from an analytical engine which is being built in .NET).

Thank you for all your suggestions!
    I have had great success with Windward Reports. You can design your report template in MS Word or Excel and export it directly to a printer (or other formats). If you have graphical elements, you can place them on the page as you would like them to appear in your final document. It should accomplish everything you described.

Hope this helps!
  25. No Profile Picture

Try Sunset Reports

We use a great report writer with a powerful visual query builder called Sunset Reports. Very powerful, lots of features, and reasonably priced.

SunsetReports.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo