1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Customize PayPal, is this possible?

Hey everone,

I'm about to launch a website for one of my friends. This website is a Photo gallery and he wants to sell his photos. It's been a very long time since I have set up 3rd party Credit Card payment, and I can't remember much at all.

I'm thinking of going with Paypal as the payment gateway, but my friend had a question that I couldn't find the answer to....

Is it possible to customize the PayPal shopping cart page and Credit Card form processing page with the CSS from his website and possibly add a thumnail of the photo they are purchasing? Perhaps with a premier membership or something like that?

He was adamant about wanting these pages to look as much like his own website as possible so that it doesn't look like they are leaving the site. And he doesn't mind paying a little extra for it...

But He said if paypal doesn't allow this kind of customization then he'd like to find another company that does...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The standard Paypal payment method does allow you to customize the payment page a bit, but it sounds like the customizations that he wants are much greater then you'll be able to do. You can do things like pick some custom colors and upload a banner image, you can't freely edit the CSS or change the structure or content of the page.

You won't find many (any?) hosted payment gateways like Paypal standard that will allow you to make the person think they are not leaving your site. It's simply not in the interest of the payment gateway or the consumer for the payment gateway to allow this.

There are payment gateways that allow you to accept the credit card details directly on your site and communicate with the gateway via a backend API that the customer never sees. Of course, the responsibility of securely collecting the data then falls into your hands rather than the payment gateway's. You will generally higher gateway fees for this ability, usually in the form of a fixed monthly fee + some percentage of the transaction. One popular gateway is authorize.net.

At this time I do not believe that Paypal offers a solution that allows you to process payments solely on your site. They do offer what they call Direct Payments, which allows you to collect the credit card details on your site and send them to Paypal in the background, just like Authorize.net. However, the catch is that you also have to offer your customers the option of being redirected to Paypal to do the payment instead of entering the details on your site. If you don't Paypal will hit you with extra fees.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo