1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dreamweaver to Bbedit Lite

A newbie question. I have a simple site, where a developer created some php include files for me. I maintain it and create the content. I use Dreamweaver on Mac and Bbedit lite when I want to edit the content of those php files (left nav, footer, etc.) - not the code, but the text, links etc.

Problem: When I do that, and upload the revised file via Dreamweaver, the php file gets corrupted (inserts lines I think) and the results mess up the whole page.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and how to deal with this? When I make changes to the php file in BBedit, do I have to perform some function to "clean" it? Any advice appreciated. THANK-YOU!
    ian
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moved to Development Software

Are both DW and BBE using the same line breaks (UNIX, for instance)? If DW is on Windows line breaks, and BBE is on UNIX line breaks, it could be causing a prob.

I know that DW6.0 had issues w/ over-writing code w/ some of its own internal code info, which would corrupt files. There is an update to 6.1 that resolves this. It was a prob on the Win version of DW; not sure if it could also be an issue on the Mac version, worth looking into though.

Can you open your PHP files in Mac's text editor to see if the files look OK?
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo