1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think you all should try PHPEd!

It's very nice (at least for begginers)

Here comes a list:

Begginers:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> it show a list of functions for you to choose (for example: forgot the name... hmmm... something like mysql_fetch... it lists for you!)
    <LI> it has a... dunno exactly the name... Code completion? That yellow box with the arguments of EACH SINGLE FUNCTION!
    </UL>

It imports from the PHP documentation, so it's up to date! If you press F1 you can take a look at the manual (via default browser or internal browser)

For advanced:

Unlike EditPlus, it can bold, italic and change the background color for each kind of keyword. I also think it has more features when talking about code highlighting. You can use different colors for more keywords. Dunno how to explain, but I think you have a bigger list to change colors...

A bad thing:

When edditing, every HTML line will highlight the initial < of the tags (if they start the line) like the PHP Comments.

No big deal, but...

So, do I (or PHPEd) have your vote?

------------------
    Eduardo Teixeira Cardoso
    PHP Programmer from Brazil
    idnotfound@vircio.com.br
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Amen. I've used everything from go live to Macromedia. Of the Pricey ones, I'd say dreamweave but 1st page 2000+Ultraedit are the best combination you can have on windows. On my Linux machines, I just use the text editor.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose:
    I cant believe nobody has mentoned the very best editor available today................ and its free

dl a copy and tell what you think about it

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/

[/quote]

5. No Profile Picture

Our staff is currently working on an php-oriented ide. All information are available on http://www.phpedit.com/.

Don't fear to take us what you think and what you need.

Regards,
    M@rms
  7. No Profile Picture

I always use good old VI Editor. Call me old fashioned. But I love it!

------------------
    Who is John Galt?
  9. No Profile Picture

Exclamation HAVE A LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever heard about PHP-Coder?
    No?
    Well, then you should have a look at the following site:
    http://www.phpide.de/

The official description:
    PHP Coder is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) especially developped for PHP programmers.
    Through tight integration of the PHP interpreter and the PHP documentation, PHP Coder gives you a time-saving Development Interface. Features are Full Integration of the PHP Interpreter and the PHP documentation, Integrated Preview window, Full Syntax Highlighting for HTML and PHP, AutoComplete for frequently used text constructs, Project manager, Tag Buttons and all the standard editing functions like almost unlimited undo, copy and paste, searching, ...
    And it is quite small compared to other language's IDEs and loads pretty fast.
    And the best, it's FREE.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use PHP Coder
    Gravity always wins
  13. No Profile Picture

PHP Editor

I agree, Vim/Gvim (http://www.vim.org) is a great editor if you are familiar with VI. If you are into that whole windows thing, Homesite (http://www.allaire.com) is great.
  15. No Profile Picture

I use UltraEdit 32, you can get it from http://www.ultraedit.com/ , it isn't made specifically for PHP, but I copied the perl language keywords, and it works pretty well, also allows regex search and replace, which helps a lot IMO.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi,

Thanks for that link to PHP coder. That thing is great. I couldn't figure out how to use PHPEd very well.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Am I the only one who thinks PHPIDE is really sluggish and too GUI-focused? It has too many bells & whistles with the colour coding, kinda reminds me of a FrontPage for PHP files. I'll stick to my good ol' TextPad, I think.

(No offense to the people who made PHPIDE, of course.)
    To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If I had been programming a while I might agree with you cka. For a newbie, the instant gratification of having the internal browser is excellent.
    Gravity always wins
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just 1 word...EditPlus....
    Simply the best...have used it for a long time, and will keep doing that for a long time...
    Greetz
    -Maximum-
  25. No Profile Picture

TextPad and IE

...are the only reason I don't go all Linux at home. TextPad is the best editor I've found, and Netscape sucks...especially on Linux. I took the nickname killalldash9 based mainly on my hatred for the number of times I've had to type "killall -9 netscape-navigator" on my Linux boxen (never mind its inability to support CSS.)
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Ok, ok....for all of you that were singing the praises of EditPlus, I decided to give it a try. Currently, I am trying out 4 editors. It seems like EditPlus is a more complicated version of PHP coder.

I immediately had problems installing EditPlus. The self extractor was extracting an old program I had unistalled long ago. Somehow, I finally got it extracted, but I don't know how I did that. Then, I had to make massive changes to all the auto complete buttons, and it was difficult to figure out which files needed to be edited. It would be nice if they explained where to go to edit the various files. I also edited the html template.

It also took a while to figure out how the internal browser worked. I still don't know how to test sessions with the internal browsers in these editors. To retest a session script, you have to close all browser windows, so that the previous session ends. However, with these editors, how do you close the browser window? I have resorted to shutting down the editor to retest a session script, which is hardly a very good feature.

I also chose HTML tags in lower case on the Preferences/General page, but when I insert an html tag from the list in the left window, it's in upper case. Has anyone gotten that to work?

Finally, I created a simple php template:

<?php

?>

so that when I want to open a new file, I can just click on the new menu item "PHP" and the file will open up with php tags, but unlike when I open an html file, the html toolbar disappears. I can get it back by digging around in the View menu item, but is there a way to make the html tool bar appear as the default like an html page?
    Last edited by 7stud; March 24th, 2001 at 11:01 PM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I just tried textpad...there is no php specific stuff, so I am giving that editor a pass. It does have the best icon though....lol.
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page: