1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best framework/cms for task automation

I've been asked by a local non-profit organization to help with a web project they are planning that will provide a curriculum to teachers for conservation education. They have little in the way of manpower or technical capability, and need a site that can automate tasks like sub-site creation and management. The thinking is that the teacher can sign up and a sub site will be created to house their calendar, documents, and activities that the teacher would adminstrate. The students would also need to be able to sign in and upload project information, results and photos. The main site would need to be able to aggregate some of the data from the sub sites so that the schools can compare their progress against each other.

I've worked with SquareSpace and Google Sites in the past. I'm a SharePoint admin in my real job and could possibly use SharePoint Online. I'm also aware of CMS packages like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, Concrete5, etc., but haven't used them personally.

I don't mind volunteering the hours it will take to create the site, the sub-site templates, and all of the custom coding necessary; but I don't want to be a slave to the site's ongoing use. Does anyone have any recommendations for creating a turn-key package for users of varying technical abilities that you can walk away from when finished?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

WordPress has support for running multiple blogs from the same installation and can create new blogs via the web interface. However it doesn't support most of the other things you've mentioned and it's not a very flexible framework for doing significant development. I don't think drupal or joomla support dynamic creation of new sites, but drupal does support having multiple sites I believe.

I can tell you from personal experience that this is not a project that will ever be finished. Unless you want to be working on it for life, you're going to have to say no at some point.

Also fully turnkey software is a total myth. You can't run a multiuser server application without at least one person who knows what they are doing.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

For CMS, wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, megento is good and effective web platform.
    However, for complex or corporate web development i prefer zend framwork, CodeIgniter, Symfony

-----------------
    Web development

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo