Thread: IDE for all!

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IDE for all!

Hello all,

I have been delving into web developing and now that I have offically passed XHTML and CSS I feel that I am ready to start with actual scripting languages. I plan to go this route:

• PHP
    • JavaScript
    • AJAX
    • jQuery

Before I start freelancing and getting into the real work. But I have been using notepad for HTML and CSS and was wondering if there is a IDE that can cover all these in an easy manner.

I am looking for it to be free, I do have Dreamweaver CS5 if that is the best but I always hear Eclipse and things mentioned but was wondering if there is a better free one that supports all these three. I tried searching but I can't seem to find the right answer.

Thank you!
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your list can be reduced to just PHP. HTML, CSS, JavaScript (which includes AJAX and jQuery) all come with the territory. Any IDE that does PHP will also do the others.

Also: there is no "best" IDE. The only real advice is to try out IDEs until you find one you like. They all have advantages and they all have disadvantages; you need to find out what matters most to you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I see, well I just wanted to get opinons on what people personally favor and for what reasons? I would like to go into a IDE and configure it knowing that I won't have too many problems ahead or that I don't got to look for things only to find out I can't do that.

As a starting web developer I am not sure what I want in an IDE but just maybe something to help visualize in a colorful manner and if something that can point out errors to me before hand would be great! I have looked into Dreamweaver CS5 and like it for what I need but was just wondering other peeps opinions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo