1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to implement 2-way teleconferencing with video and audio

I would like to implement a 2-way teleconferencing with video and audio through the internet using broadband (T1, cable modem, etc..). via web page

1) How would I implement this on a web page ? Would I need some kind of active X so that it could synchronize video and audio input ?

2) If I were to use an IP camera, and a microphone and the two are connected behind the PC, then how would I make it work using the web page ?
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Don't use ActiveX, unless you want to expose your webserver to major security holes.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I am also very curious to see a solution to this problem. Newer video messengers use a proxy server that kind of hosts your video for you. This allows for a faster, more consistant flow for video with duplex audio. The earliy days of netmeeting say a direct connection to the recipients IP address, but I usually found there were several lockup problems.
    I personally would like to see a direct communication system that will work over a wireless (adhoc) connection, web page or not, but I have not found anything filling this void yet. Ideas?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you drgroove for the information.

Hi JimmyGosling. When using NetMeeting, the camera type must be a web camera and then this camera will be connected to either a USB port (new web camera) or to a parallel (old web camera) port. NetMeeting cannot detect the existence of an IP camera. When you are using an IP camera, it is connected behind a switch using an RJ45 input jack.

A wireless solution can work with NetMeeting.
    Get a receiver and connect it to a USB port.
    Now, connect a receiver to a USB port on a PC.
    Get a USB web camera and connect it to a transmitter.
    Now Netmeeting will run.

The problem here is you must find a wireless transmitter and receiver that support USB connection.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo