1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightweight (simpler) CMS

After searching the net for various CMS I couldn't find anything that is suited for my current needs.

Allright, Plone does look good, but it requires quite a fast computer. And all are packed with features. Features I will never use in my current project. All I need is a way to add new pages (articles) with pictures. And maybe to get an auto-generated index with some thumbnails. Nothing more.

Than, regarding the resource consumption - that is another issue. I have been using with success a very lightweight web server called boa. I don't have the need for the complex apache. Do I have to go the apache way if I want a CMS?

Any hint would be helpful.
  3. m4d 5k1llz

Have you checked out http://www.bricolage.cc ?

It's what www.theregister.co.uk amongst others use to do their CMS.

As for webservers. Apache is simple to use and run. No need to run anything else IMO - whats the advantage of being more lightweight?
  5. No Profile Picture

Well... I have no real good reason not to use apache. Only the fact that it seems to me a less used web server getts less attention from the crackers as well. Than, the complexity makes Apache more vulnerable and makes my job harder as I have to 'close down' some more features. When it comes to resource consumption - why use something bloated with features you don't use? I agree, php/python support is far better in Apache from what I have read.

About bricolage I knew nothing. The search on google or freshmeat brings up so many options, and most of them are comercial offers or same CMS analysed over and over again by various users.

This seems to be a good start. Thank you very much.
  7. m4d 5k1llz

Although I have never used Bricolage - it does seem to get some good press from all who use it. Although its crafted in that cryptic Perl language :-) it seems ot be fairly solid. From the screenshots the CMS capabilities look great!
  9. No Profile Picture

I just found a very interesting option called WebMake. As they say you don't even need scripting support on the destination server.
  11. m4d 5k1llz

There's a few which produce static output pages. Dreamweaver even has such capabilities via its templating system.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hmm...

After all, for a bunch of articles with pictures that have to be bound together with a few table of contents and a site map (auto-generated) this static aproach seems better to me.

Is there a OpenSource project that does what DreamWeaver does?
  15. m4d 5k1llz

Yeah, EzPublish or something. I looked at it a while back.
  17. No Profile Picture

It sure looks interesting...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo