1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Online Store Builder (Mall)

I need some guidance...I want to create a online store builder program where users can choose from all of my products to sell on a website hosted by me. Basically, they sign up, choose a what would be a subdomain xxxx.com/whatever, choose a template, then choose from products to add to the store. The user can change the prices above the base price and sell the items...but all the billing/shipping is handled by me. There also has to be a backend system to track sales and commissions. Any ideas of such systems available or companies that use this type of system. Looking for an affordable solution to use and/or develop. So basically it would allow users to create stores thereby creating a mall of sorts with all being my products.

brick
  3. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by brickholius
    I need some guidance...I want to create a online store builder program where users can choose from all of my products to sell on a website hosted by me. Basically, they sign up, choose a what would be a subdomain xxxx.com/whatever, choose a template, then choose from products to add to the store. The user can change the prices above the base price and sell the items...but all the billing/shipping is handled by me. There also has to be a backend system to track sales and commissions. Any ideas of such systems available or companies that use this type of system. Looking for an affordable solution to use and/or develop. So basically it would allow users to create stores thereby creating a mall of sorts with all being my products.

brick
    Do you want to program the software or go with something that's already out there. Guess really depends on which you have more of: Time or Money. Anyway, there is only one Webmall software package I have ever seen. Maybe something else has popped up in the last 6 months, but that is SMCwebmall. Has nothing to do with the SMC late night infomercials. Ran it on a webmall in 1999/2000.

The good: good technical support, easy to use program for non-techies, and good custom programming department.

The Bad: Written in PERL, flat-file(text) database, no ablity to connect to say MySQL or PostgreSQL or oracle, or db2, or any database system. THat means limited to one server per install. Other bad thing is it has an *** backwards pricing scheme. They want you to purchase your hosting from them. Not the technical type, might be an idea, but your at their mercy. ALso you have to purchase additional stores in bundles of 10 each for $500.

We used it because time was critical and it was just about the only software on the market with 90% of what we wanted at the time.
    ========================
    I would check out oscMall. Its a GPLed based system based around OScommerce, which I've been using for about 2 years now. Great program. you can find it at http://www.systemsmanager.net/
    Why? Because Forms just look cooler in OS X...

Dutch, it's like German...but not!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, the system we want to develop allows users to create stores for free...so we cant be spending $500 everytime 10 users sign up. We have funds (within reason of course) to have something like this developed....or expanded upon something else. Also, the goal is to have the system that we can run on our choice of servers and not have to be completly dependent. Basically a system similar to Cafepress except the users won't be designing/changing the products..they will just choose which products to sell. Users choose a subdomain, choose their products, choose their prices and sell our products.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo