1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What are the options for Non Php CMS?

I am trying to use a CMS that can do everything but is not based on php as I don't want my hands to get stuck in something that I don't know and I don't want to know.
    There are lots of CMS that are non php but I don't want to use one CMS this day and then start using another one another day. Can someone provide me various names that are good CMS (professional level).

Just one more thing, I don't want to make another post for it, I heard that php is a very complicated and not well designed language. I am not worried about complicated but if it is not well designed I don't want to invest my time in it. I want to go for alternatives that are much better than php and are without any flaws. But I don't know which languages they might be, some people say its ASP, Java, C#, Ruby etc.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

PHP is actually not a complicated language at all, which is why so many people know it. PHP is also not a very strict language, like HTML and JavaScript, which some people consider to be a design flaw (except that it's designed this way intentionally). The implementation of the language itself is built well, but like any language it has its quirks. You will not find any languages without at least a few weird quirks.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NO language is without flaw. And as far as serverside languages PHP is arguably the best designed out there and is very easy to learn.

However most flaws in php are in fact user error!
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    PHP is actually not a complicated language at all, which is why so many people know it. PHP is also not a very strict language, like HTML and JavaScript, which some people consider to be a design flaw (except that it's designed this way intentionally). The implementation of the language itself is built well, but like any language it has its quirks. You will not find any languages without at least a few weird quirks.
  7. Contributing User

Check out this link: lists all the CMS, php, java, perl, asp.net, ruby on rails.
    Wikipedia

To me as a programmer, every program has its issues.
    Also in my opinion, the easiest CMS is php based.
    They also have the most themes, plugins and support.

Some of the other non php cms have little support, so if you get stuck on something, you will have to figure it out yourself.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

PHP is a different language than most, and grew organically rather than being designed by a committee. As a result, there are some problems with it:

1) The standard language library is randomly named. You have to memorize many function names and spellings. This is more of a problem in PHP than in most other languages.

2) Due to PHP not having extensive object support or Exceptions at first, the standard library does not throw exceptions. Functions like strpos return false on failure, rather than throw an exception.

3) There is slightly inconsistent behavior with PHP as compared to other popular languages, specifically the associativity of operators.

The rest of the complaints you see about PHP can mostly be boiled down to "I don't like how it's loosely typed and I don't understand symbol tables." Loosely typed languages like PHP are unique and take some getting used to if you're already used to strictly typed or duck typed languages. However, PHP is one of the best languages for learning because it takes away a lot of the stuff you have to worry about in other languages. If you want to add a string to the end of a number in PHP, you just do so. The conversion from number to string happens automatically. In Java, you have to call a special function to convert a number to a string, then another function to add two strings together, creating a third string in the process.

PHP also has the most community support, and has an extensive group of bug fixers working on the issues. Languages like C# are maintained by a big company which doesn't release the source code of the language and decides, internally, whether anything will ever be fixed.

And finally, when you say CMS do you mean CMS or do you mean a framework? If you install a CMS like wordpress, you never have to know what language it's written in (PHP) because you don't actually do any coding.

If you're looking for a framework, the PHP one I recommend is Symfony. It's a bit over complicated, but it's robust and modular.
    Last edited by ManiacDan; February 7th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Contributing User

cryoffalcon
    I forgot to mention asp.net - a Microsoft development.
    Many websites are built using this platform.
    Asp.net allows you to use a full featured programming language such as C# (pronounced C-Sharp) or VB.NET to build web applications.

I myself don't use it, but have checked it out.
    The programmers that I know who built websites with this platform swear that it is the next era of web development.
  13. No Profile Picture

dotnet nuke

one popular non php cms is dot net nuke which based c# and .net framework. so you can try that but you get it only for trial purpose. once you have tried that for 14 days you need to purchase. you can check it website. PHP cms gained more popularity as they are open source and easy to use.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo