1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Record video & audio comments - options?

I'd like to enable users to record video and audio comments on my website. I do not want to go down the Red5/FMS route just yet, until I consider the alternatives.

Riffly.com offers a working service, however I cannot contact their support (no reply). Also, the last update on their site was over 100 days ago.

Does anybody know of a similar alternative to Riffly.com or the reasons that Riffly are not communicating?
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by conoroleary
    I'd like to enable users to record video and audio comments on my website. I do not want to go down the Red5/FMS route just yet, until I consider the alternatives.

Riffly.com offers a working service, however I cannot contact their support (no reply). Also, the last update on their site was over 100 days ago.

Does anybody know of a similar alternative to Riffly.com or the reasons that Riffly are not communicating?
    Tough one... if you're going to build this on your own, you'll have to get past the fact that the browser security model won't allow javascript, php, etc to directly interact w/ the user's PC.

I did a little research; Mozilla has a plugin called Jetpack that would allow you to grab audio, but it won't be portable across browsers.

I'm under the impression that a Java-based applet could (probably) be written to handle this. It might be possible to do this in Flash as well. Either way you'll have to do some research to see what's possible to build.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by drgroove
    Tough one... if you're going to build this on your own, you'll have to get past the fact that the browser security model won't allow javascript, php, etc to directly interact w/ the user's PC.

I did a little research; Mozilla has a plugin called Jetpack that would allow you to grab audio, but it won't be portable across browsers.

I'm under the impression that a Java-based applet could (probably) be written to handle this. It might be possible to do this in Flash as well. Either way you'll have to do some research to see what's possible to build.
    I've had a look at a few exiting subscription based services but none of them do exactly what I want them to do.

So, I'm going to use Red5/Java/Actionscript to build one of my own. For security reasons, the user will have to allow the Red5 server to access their webcam, but that's the default with any Flash/webcam apps. Using Flash, the user won't have to download any apps (at least not explicitly, stuff will happen behind the scenes).

I'll have a look at the Java applet option, but Red5 seems pretty well set up to take care of the server end of things (although I don't think the documentation is the best, IMHO).
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by conoroleary
    So, I'm going to use Red5/Java/Actionscript to build one of my own.
    Cool - if you do roll your own, open source it and post a link to the final package here.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo