1. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Trying to find SVN deployment woftware

I've got a slightly different problem trying to find some software that can "automate" SVN Delpyment on a remote server.

The boss has recently decided that no one should have any need to SSH into a server in order to do an SVN update. This was thanks to a co-worker causing all sorts of untold issues on a production server when he set the file permisisons for /var/ instead of var/... On top of this, our designers/HTML coders can't figure out what SVN actually does, let alone understand why you'd want to use it, so I've been left trying to find a solution.

What the boss wants is a program that can be installed on Windoes PC's that will let us run update, revert, etc commands on a remote server so that it can be set up, and the server admins won't have to worry every time osmeone wants to update something on a production server.

We use Tortoise SVN For our development -> repository work, but I need to figure out of there's something that does repository -> server from a remote location.

Does anyone know of anything like this? I'm not sure I've explained it to well... I'm trying to get my head around the requirements myself.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

it sounds like you were running as root if you can change permissions on all of /var. You don't need to be root to run svn commands. As a regular user, you can create repos and commit/update them.

Sorry, I don't know of a remote commit/update svn app however, logging into the server as a non-root user would be the simplest way of solving this.

I suppose you could write a php script that runs the 'svn update /dir' system command.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Yes, the other developer was running as root... thats the way the system admins have told us to do it, so these things can happen.

Unfortuantely writing a PHP script won't work in this instance. Firstly, it would take a lot of work to get something that will actually SSH into the remote machine, and then execute the commands, and then there's a very big issue of error control if something goes wrong with an update. The biggest reason for this is that there's no way that I can get the team (designers mainly) to work with something like this. Honestly, if it's anything that's not Dreamweaver, they shake their had and say "No, to hard, to hard...". Which is the main reason that I said in my first post that we can't have every user logging into every server to do updates.

Looks like I might be stuck for a solution here.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

take a look at this..

http://www.projectlocker.com/
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Originally Posted by psychobyte
    take a look at this..
    I'm not usre, but I think that you missed my point.

I don't need SVN hosting, we already have that set up inhouse. I need a program or system that can securely log into our servers and perform the SVN updates there without normal users needing to do any of the tedious command-line work. Standard SVN hosting dosn't do anything like that.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't need SVN hosting, we already have that set up inhouse. I need a program or system that can securely log into our servers and perform the SVN updates there without normal users needing to do any of the tedious command-line work. Standard SVN hosting dosn't do anything like that.
    Actually, I've used an SVN host before that did do something like that. They offered the ability to configure their system to automatically FTP/SFTP into the server and upload the changed files whenever a commit was made. This let you keep a copy on a remote server synchronized with the repository without giving the committers access to the remote server. It's not exactly the same though, since the copy on the remote server isn't an actual checkout.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. Code Monkey V. 0.9

That is true E-Oreo. I could get the same thing done here if I wanted to. The SVN Server is ours, so we can add in a script/code like that to do the job. The problems with that are that we don't want the code deployed immediately every time something is updated, and we also need to be able to keep track of what branch that production is currently running from. Using a straight FTP/SCP system just can't offer those two things.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo