Thread: uml editors

1. No Profile Picture
    Mentat of IX
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

uml editors

hi , i'm interested in finding what uml editors do people use / prefer ?

I've used Visio but doesn't seem to be too universal ...
    FreeBSD , dooing more with less since 10 years ago
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm using Poseidon UML from Gentleware.com.

The community version is free, but lacks a number of significant features, making it difficult for me to recommend it for anything other than creating UML for your own purposes. My general feeling is that the pay-for versions of Poseidon are probably better (although there are several bugs in the app that I'm not sure would be ironed out in pay-for versions), but in a cost analysis, MS Visio looks like it comes out on top of Poseidon for bang-for-buck.

If there are any other UML IDEs that people would recommend, I'd love to hear about them.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture

I was also quite disappointed by the free version of Posiedon. I found a plugin for Eclipse to draw UML diagrams. It is called EclipseUML and is developed by Omondo.
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally posted by gould
    I was also quite disappointed by the free version of Posiedon. I found a plugin for Eclipse to draw UML diagrams. It is called EclipseUML and is developed by Omondo.
    Sweet. I'm already using Eclipse for Java, JSP, Struts, Tomcat, BEA Weblogic, and sometimes XML ... sounds like adding a UML plugin is in my future. lol

Thanks for the heads up. Whats your overall impression of the plugin? Is it better than Poseidon?
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  9. No Profile Picture

You could also check out Umbrello. http://uml.sourceforge.net

It's a pretty neat program and has, albeit limited, code generation features (including for PHP4).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo