1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Update website from phone.

Website Management, seemed like an appropriate place to post this, although truly, it maybe in the wrong place. If so, I apologize.

I think my question is simple enough, but please forgive me for I do not know the terminology.

Is it possible to use a mobile device (cell phone) to access a website and update its content from the phone?

Here is the situation. We have a very large tournement being played at several different venues over a 10 day period. Instead of being chained to the computer, I would simply like to update the scores remotely from the smart phone. The website structure is all set, and major updates are looked after from the computer, but for something as simple as a score, I was hoping there might be an option that would allow this type of interaction. We would like to have people at the different venues upload the scores as they happen and because many of these people would be volunteers with little or no computer skills, the communication between the phone and the server pages would need to be simple.

Perhaps this is too much to ask for but could someone point me in a possible direction.

Thanks.

Site was designed using Dreamweaver.
    Smart phone is currently windows based, but arrangements could be made to use other plateforms (android, bb, Iphone) if that would be more useful.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Kingsscrown.

What you need is a bespoke content management system. An area that you can log into securely and update the content/scores via your phones browser. Of course there will be security restrictions that you want to to enforce on your users.
    EG Only allow them to mark their own scores and no oneelses.
    - You can tie this together by the users login details.

You cant update a site via Dreamweaver over a phone.
    Originally Posted by kingscrown
    Site was designed using Dreamweaver.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by pfwd.tech
    Hi Kingsscrown.

What you need is a bespoke content management system. An area that you can log into securely and update the content/scores via your phones browser. Of course there will be security restrictions that you want to to enforce on your users.
    EG Only allow them to mark their own scores and no oneelses.
    - You can tie this together by the users login details.

You cant update a site via Dreamweaver over a phone.

Thank you for your advice, The term bespoke...refers to a "custom made" CMS? I have done a small amount of research into CMS (drupal joomla etc) but had not heard the term bespoken associated with it. I certainly like the idea of the editing options being tied to the login, I was hoping for something like that. Any other terms you could provide me for use in my investigation would be helpful and thanks again for your assistance.
  7. Contributing User

Smile

I say bespoke because it sounds like you need a custom management system and not one off the shelf.

A crude process flow.
    1. User logs into a secure website (cms)
    2. User selects a region from a list of places that is available to his user ID
    3. User selects a tournament assigned to that region (if its possible to have more than one tournament in 1 region)
    4. User selects a player assigned to the tournament.
    5. Displayed is a text box with the current score (0 by default ) and a submit button
    6. User updates the score and presses the submit button.
    7. The data is validated (has to be numeric). If correct its saved to the tournaments table with the player lD and the score.
    8. Confirmation or error message shown.
    9. User logs out.

That's just off the top of my head.
    Things to think about.
    How is the data going to be stored. Database?
    What else needs to be updated?
    What smart phones will be used?
    How big are their screens?
    What happens if a volunteer doesn't have web enabled phone?
    Can you provide a 'online' alternative that they use at home when they at a pc.
    What platform does you server run? LINUX or Windows?
    What language does the server support? PHP or ASP?

I could go on but I think that's enough.

I suggest building a system yourself but I would say that ... I'm a programmer

Sounds like a good project
    Posted via a HTC desire
  9. No Profile Picture

Again, thank you so much for the input. You have certainly given me much to think about. I had not considered many of those things, and was hoping that it might be a little less involved. Oh well, nothing like a challenge to keep things interesting. Cheers!!!!
  11. Contributing User

No Worries,
    Feel free to PM me with any other issues regarding the project
    Originally Posted by kingscrown
    Again, thank you so much for the input. You have certainly given me much to think about. I had not considered many of those things, and was hoping that it might be a little less involved. Oh well, nothing like a challenge to keep things interesting. Cheers!!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo