1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Viability of Activity Booking Website/Business

Hey everyone!

I am a web developer looking to construct a website (from here on referred to as "BookSmart") for my city/region to act as a activity/tourism booking gateway working with local businesses to list available bookings and have them processed via BookSmart, the idea being to receive a small commission from each booking received. At this point I'm trying to get an idea of the true scale of this project, as well as what you project the cost of development to be.

I've attached an image here to outline the flow of the website. Something similar, albeit on a vastly larger scope, can be found at 301 Moved Permanently

Now my main question at this point in time are:

1. How will bookings be registered to the respective businesses?

This is the biggest issue I'm facing, since a number of these local activities only accept bookings by phone, will a full-time employee (myself for the time being) be required to book tickets on a company credit by phone after each online booking? If a company has an existing online ticket purchasing portal, would they accept external redirects?

2. How will availability of tickets be handled?
    Say only 100 tickets of a certain activity are available per time slot, what precautions can be put in place to prevent overselling?

3. What is the best way of connecting booking payment to local businesses?
    I feel as though a central account processing the booking fees, with monthly invoices paid out to the various businesses (minus the commission percentage) would be most effective.

Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Writing this post out in itself has been extremely helpful in analyzing the hurdles I'll have to overcome, if you can think of others I'd certainly be grateful as well.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by TVM1
    . How will bookings be registered to the respective businesses?
    That will depend on each business. If they only accept phone bookings, then someone will need to phone them each time. If they accent email bookings you can set up automates emails to them. If they have an accounting or booking system with an API you can hook into that with your system. You would need to ask every organsation how they wil need it to work to suit their system (when you're big you can tell them to work in with you, but starting out you need to be the flexible one).

. How will availability of tickets be handled?
    That's simple. Set up a database table that holds individual items. If there's 100 tickets/rooms/items available, add 100 items to the table and mark off each one as it's sold, and make sure that your system only sells ones that are available.

3. What is the best way of connecting booking payment to local businesses?
    See question 1. Every place will be different, so you'll need to ask them what they'll accept.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Alright thank you so much Catacaustic! I very much appreciate the advice.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo