1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What is a good web based email program?

Hi,

I am trying to offer free web based email from my web site. I want to do this with the same style as yahoo mail in which member can sign up for membership and receive a free email account.

I was wondering what software is available so that I can just install this onto a dedicated server. I have looked at hivemail but I am not ready to commit $160 for its license. Is there anything that you know is proven, either for license or for free?

I need to have administrative abilities to edit accounts (disk size, attachment size).

Thanks,
    Roy
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Two free projects:
    The Horde Project
    SquirrelMail

Horde used to only be a webmail app, but now comes with a bunch of other installable modules as well (address book, appointments, calendar, news headlines etc.) Right now, the webmail module of Horde is called Imp. See http://www.horde.org/projects.php for more details. All the horde modules integrate pretty well with each other and you can install only the modules that you want.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A good webmail system should also provide flexibility to end users as well as to the system admin. Taking into account that webmail will attract lots of users using it, a good webmail system should allow data compression when sending to the browser so that the time taken will be faster.

My suggestion is that you take a look at SocketMail (http://www.socketmail.com), its under $100 and also it has better functionalities and features. It also allow you to provide capability for you to do upselling (payable packages).

Cheers

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo