1. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Web dev IDE with ftp

Hey everyone. Right now I primarily use dreamweaver. It works great until I VPN into the office,and then it moves at a snails pace. It isn't the vpn itself as the works fine in windows explorer, its a dreamweaver thing.

I'm spoiled and like to FTP directly from my IDE, so I tried Aptana. Same thing.... Works fine, until I try to open a project over the vpn, then it moves way slower than dreamweaver.

Any other recommendations? I don't use much advanced functionality, I just want FTP built in, and something to color my syntax.

Thanks!
  3. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hi, Dameon51

I don't use much advanced functionality, I just want FTP built in, and something to color my syntax.
    If you really don't want a full IDE, I recommend Notepad++; it has many plugins, including an FTP client. You can edit scripts directly on the server, and all changes will be updated after every save.

There was also a thread a while back discussing alternative editors, so you may find something useful there.

Comments on this post

• Dameon51 agrees : Thanks for the info! I didn't know notepad++ had an ftp client!
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo