1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wordpress custom navigation

When using Wordpress, I was told to hard code one internal page and the index. So when I did this, I hard coded what I wanted the top navigation to look like. I put in dummy text, just random things like Home, About, Services, etc. but obviously these don't link anywhere, I used # rather than actual URLs.

What I'm trying to understand is what is the best way to actually create a custom top navigation? I've been running searches but I'm rather confused. Now that I have this hard coded navigation, what is the next step? I know that Wordpress is really all about automation so is it backwards to create, say, an About page and then link it after the fact? This means further edits would require my customer to dig back through my HTML. But should they even be re-arranging their top navigation to begin with? Wouldn't that be messing with their info arch quite a bit?

I was looking through the codex and found a wp_page_menu function but am not sure how it all works together.

What is the best way to go about doing a custom navigation? What is appropriate?

UPDATE: I've been looking at everything and I THINK I have it figured out!

UPDATE 2: Figured it out.
    Last edited by Bitrush; August 15th, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Resolved!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo