1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

need WYSIWYG editor to edit include files

Many of the sites I build are comprised of a template page that is loaded on every request - this template page then loads the appropriate navigation and content based on values passed through the query string.

With that said, I am in search of a WYSIWYG editor that will allowed non-technical, content managers to make changes to the content files that are brought into the template via PHP's incluude() function. These content files are just html fragments - contain no code other than text formatting css (ex. <p class="title">About Us</p>).

I need an editor that can open just the include file but still make the styles defined in a .css file linked to from the template page available to the person making the edits.

I have tried macromedia Contribute. No luck. It will not display dynamic content and allow you to edit it. And when you open just the include file(as reccommended by macromedia), there is no way to tell it what styles to make available. I also tried Ephox EditLive, which lets you define a style sheet, makes your styles available to you when you open the include file, BUT it adds extra code to your include file (<html>, <head>, <body>, <link rel="stylesheet" ...> tags) which produces some pretty malformed html once the include file is loaded in the template and displayed in the browser.

Certainly with the huge shift towards separating presentation from content, there is a tool out there that can do this. Anyone know of any?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Retired

what templating engine is that? Most wysiwyg editors include a live data view.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes, anything with a live data view would work, but the people making edits to these sites are VERY non-technical. I need something as simple as Contribute (no live data capeabilities) or editlive. Dreamweaver is way too over the top for them ...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Retired

Now may be a good time to do a search on those CMS/template engines which the advertisers claim "allows the non-technical managing director to update the site".
  9. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You might just be SOL on finding an editor that does this. Maybe now is the time to review either training options for your non-technical staff, or discuss funnelling content submissions from the non-technical to someone who can post the information on your site.

Another option would be to move to a pure database-driven model, and provide web-based administration tools to allow non-techies to add/edit/remove content and stylesheet settings on the website.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. No Profile Picture
    Retired

It also depends on whether this is a one-off client requirement (and they have the bucks to match) or for your use. You could add a monthly maintenance fee option and do it yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture
    tony
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

you might be able to download 1 from downloads.com but im guesssing you want something more advanced
    could you not contact a software developer and ask them to make you a program for your needs?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo