1. Killkenny
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best non-wysiwyg html editor

Hi guys,

I've been out of the web dev game for a couple of years. However it seems like everyone I know is throwing web work my way, so I figured it was a good time to get back into things.

My problem is that I don't know what the leading html editor is anymore. I used to work in HomeSite, but it looks like that's been discontinued.

I have tried Dreamweaver, but it's wysiwyg editor always seemed to creep in and mess up my code. I have also been using the CoffeeCup editor, but that is crashing on me more and more.

So any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kenneth
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you forget all about the wysiwyg part, then Dreamweaver is quite good to work with.

I don't think you can say what is best in general, as it does come down to ones wants/needs and preferences.
  5. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I always enjoyed using BBEdit on the Mac...

FWIW, Eclipse (which is free and open source) has a decent HTML editor, and it stays out of your way.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I use two at work. The first id Dreamweaver, just have to do everything in code view and you're fine. The other one is Komodo Edit. It's a free version of a more "powerful" IDE although the main difference with them is that the free version doesn't integrate with SVN where the paid version does. I've used it for a couple of years now and would recommend it to most people.
  9. Contributing User

That's Right.. even my first priority goes to Dreamweaver.
    If you are hardcore programmer then you can even go with Notepad++ which do support many programming languages like C, C++, Java, C#, XML, HTML, PHP, Javascript, ASP, VB/VBS, SQL, CSS, Pascal, Perl, Python hence offfers your more freedom & flexibility.
  11. Killkenny

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry It's taken so long to get back to you all. My internet line was struck by lighting, and our wonderful telecoms monopoly still hasn't fixed it.

Anyway... It looks like everyone is a fan of Dreamweaver. I'll have to check it out again and see if it makes sense for me.

Thanks again!

Ken
  13. Contributing User

Hello,
    You were asking what is a good non-wysiwyg editor.
    I originally used notepad++ than moved on to PSpad.

Now I use Bluefish editor and a new editor called:
    codelobster php edition. Both are free and works great for me.

Hope this helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo