1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internal Bandwidth Monitoring?

Some friends and I will be sharing the costs of renting out a dedicated server, but it comes with extra transfer bandwidth and harddrive space we don't need. We need to rent this out in order to help cover some of the high costs of renting a server.

In order to do this we will need to be able to track the amount of bandwidth that someone is using internally (and not just the total bandwidth used by the machine).

They will most likely be using HTTP (so I thought maybe an apache module) but then they will also use FTP as well (so an apache module wouldn't handle that).

If anyone has any good internal bandwidth monitoring solutions (ie: by userid or even by data in a directory like a home dir) please let me know - I would greatly appreciate it.
  3. No Profile Picture

TTT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Website Monitoring Service

I would recommend you to try using http://100pulse.com - A free website monitoring service, monitors site uptime/downtime with 15 min interval, instant email alerts whenever your site goes down, customizable email templates, regular reports and much more added features. Hope this would help you!
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks.

Thanks for nice information.
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by geethalakshmi
    I would recommend you to try using http://100pulse.com - A free website monitoring service, monitors site uptime/downtime with 15 min interval, instant email alerts whenever your site goes down, customizable email templates, regular reports and much more added features. Hope this would help you!
    Um... And just how does any of that relate to monitoring the bandwidth used on the server?? Did you even READ the question???

OK, back to an answer here. To do this, look at some of the server control panels available. I personally use CPanel as that's what is used by a majority of web hosts these days. There's also a few free ones that you can use, but they don't have the same features.

One thing to rememeber is that if you are leasing out space on th server, your customers will probably expect a decent control panel.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo