1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

E-Commerce Solutions

Hi all,

I have been using Actinic as my e-commerce solution for the past 2 years but I have now got to the point where I am seeking out a new e-commerce solution. I have recently had an indepth look at OScommerce and have been very impressed. Can anyone suggest a solution? What would be the best to go for? I have also been looking at the 'big' e-commerce sites and have been wondering what they are using. Does anyone know?

Kind regards

Granthams
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Companies that base their revenue on e-commerce (amazon, ebay, yahoo, etc) develop their own custom apps in house.

OSCommerce is a good plug-n-play solution, I've used it myself on several occassions. You'll run into problems w/ the presentation layer not having clean separation from the model/controller layers, but otherwise the app works great.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Drgroove,

Do you know of any other good off-the-shelf products or open source that would be worth considering?

We may even go down the bespoke route, do you know of any good companies that make tailor made stores?

Kind regards

Granthams
  7. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

We have almost stopped development on OScommerce et. al. solutions and started advising clients to go with Yahoo! stores depending on volume. Mainly because of the lower credit card processing rates. True, it costs $40 per month with a 1.5% transaction fee for upto 5000 items listed, but our clients thus far have loved their system.

You can introduce your own custom HTML layout for your store if you wish or use Yahoo!'s templates. Most people I have delt with enjoy having a name like Yahoo behind them and not having to worry about the hosting company going out of business or raising rates or downtime due to maintaince, etc. Everything is professionally managed and works.

We've gone from website development to mainly advise and consult roles. Even today we use managed dedicated servers as opposed to self-managed for the same price through Schuland-Partner AG hosting and it makes our job much easier because we are focusing less on system updates and more on what our customers need.
    Why? Because Forms just look cooler in OS X...

Dutch, it's like German...but not!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart

If you prefer ASP, check out www.spidersales.com also. They have a great shopping cart that a few clients have purchased in the past.
  11. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    If you prefer ASP
    then your prescription has run out. Better get a refill from the pharmacist.

DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your suggestions.

As I am realising, there is a hell of a lot out there. I'm quite
    interested in going down the Open Source route (I'm feeling brave) and as I mentioned earlier I am very impressed with OSCommerce. I have had a mess around with sample stores and am starting to acheive the look and feel that I want and not just settling for the usual OSCommerce look that thousands of stores have.

What I am wondering is can it be used to power a big successfull store? Our current sites are doing very well with just using Actinic and we have a good customer base but I want to take it to a higher level.
    Can OSCommerce really help me with this goal?

Kind regards

Granthams
  15. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart

Sorry Dr Groove - that message is just over my head.

osCommerce has a lot of contributions from other members that should help you out. There is one out there loaded: http://oscommerce.snappyserver.com/index.php - that might help you out.
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm actually in the same boat to tell the truth. I good friend of mine wants me to build the website for their company and i have consen to do so because he has helped me with so many things in the past. He will be buying all the programs ETC. needed for me to create the website. He sells several types of clay etc. It is a very large company and he would like to mainly have all of his sales done online from now on via paypal or Credit card.

From what I read above it sounds like everyone likes the OS commerce quite a bit?

I actually liked the demo on the http://www.spidersales.com/ website. Would the standard package work fine for a site like i will be making? The oscommerce looked like it had WAY too many bugs posted to be fixed on the next update... I think i may need to stay clear of that. This is very important to them and once it's up i hope to have minimal problems.

Can anyone maybe type a short list of all the ones that you may have heard were good or have had experience? I would be much appreciative being as I'm not to familiar with the shoppings cart deal.

Also final question.. What was microsoft backoffice??? Someone asked me if i was familiar with it and i said no.. Seems important... thanks! I will be a frequenter on the board from now on. THX!
  19. No Profile Picture

Hello,

We are building an online shopping website. It will be a catalog shopping with discount shopping reward incentives. We will be getting feeds from affilates. Anyone know of any software that can do this easy. Or if oscommerce has modules for this
    Any help would be great.
    Shopping Trail
    catalog shopping with discount shopping reward incentives
  21. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart

Originally Posted by shoppingtrail
    Hello,

We are building an online shopping website. It will be a catalog shopping with discount shopping reward incentives. We will be getting feeds from affilates. Anyone know of any software that can do this easy. Or if oscommerce has modules for this
    Any help would be great.
    Shopping Trail
    catalog shopping with discount shopping reward incentives
    Yes osCommerce has contributions with discount reward incentives.

Sorry jasonink I must have missed your message but yes it should work just fine
  23. No Profile Picture

Check out this shopping cart. I think you'll find it has everything you are looking for. If not sorry for this post. NOP Shopping Cart

The site has a great support forum with many contributions. Including a Discount shopping cart modification.
  25. Contributing User

osCommerce is great. I've also hacked the code to make it search engine friendly. It works like a charm.

Saving money is easy with discount codes from Rollback coupons. Coupon codes for online purchases.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo