Thread: Putty

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Putty

Here is the deal: i am going to start working on a site remotely, the site is done in PHP/MySQL. i havent spoken to the ppl who built it yet, so i am not sure what utility i better use to connect to the server. I guess my question is what i need (the basics), as far as i gather i need something like Putty to connect, an FTP client and a db management tool (like PHPMyAdmin).

please correct me if i am wrong, and let me know whether Putty is good to use in this situation.
  3. No Profile Picture

Putty /ssh

Originally Posted by SpaceKadette
    Here is the deal: i am going to start working on a site remotely, the site is done in PHP/MySQL. i havent spoken to the ppl who built it yet, so i am not sure what utility i better use to connect to the server. I guess my question is what i need (the basics), as far as i gather i need something like Putty to connect, an FTP client and a db management tool (like PHPMyAdmin).

please correct me if i am wrong, and let me know whether Putty is good to use in this situation.
    Hi,

I use putty quite a bit, and it's a great ssh tool. Generally, ssh is preferred to telnet (does anyone use telnet anymore?) for security. In fact, you can even skip ftp and use "scp" for copying files around. There's a version called pscp made by the makers of putty.

There are other ssh client programs out there, and any should work fine.

To summarize, I think your tool list is right on. Of course, you may find a different situation once you get in and see the lay of the land.

Good luck!

-Jim
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SpaceKadette

I use Putty daily for remote server administration (primarily Linux systems) I'd recommend using it to connect via SSH.
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo