Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What's the "best" webdesign software & why?

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new web authoring software package.

Just wondering what up-to-date software people would recommend?

Cheers
    Sol

PS: Using Dreamweaver MX 2004 at present.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Dreamweaver is a good program to use, as long you don't use the WYSIWYG part of it.

any special features you need to be able to do?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart

Expression Web is fantastic as well. I have been using it for probably over 6 months. I am amazed at the most simple websites that I can create in XHTML compliant code without me having to change anything
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want to do with it. I've always found Microsoft Frontpage fine for my webpage needs because all I do is import the sliced PSD into it and then modify the tables and stuff and it's all ready for me.

If you want to build a website from scratch and stuff, core coding and then implementation of graphics, then that's a completely different thing if you're not into Photoshop and other such graphic editing software. You have a variety of options ranging from AceHTML to Macromedia Dreamweaver.

I used to use Namo WebEditor when I needed something like that, because I was never into hard coding of webpages when I used to use this software. I would however recommend Dreamweaver if you code a lot because it has the syntax coloring for a number of languages and that helps out a lot. CSS and stuff is a breeze with it. I guess it's quite all right in the new version of Namo as well.

Survey the market, see what you need and then ask us about a particular software is what I would suggest. Or just tell us what all you require the software to do for you.
  9. I [heart] Toxic Waste

Photoshop + jEdit + Filezilla

It's simple, does what I want, I have full control over everything, and it just works.
    Last edited by DorkRawk; June 21st, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
  11. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Dork is after my own heart.

I use Photoshop CS3 + PHP Expert Editor + Filezilla.

Also, whoever mentioned Microsoft Frontpage that's not a fix ever. Just no. Also don't mention anything like Adobe Golive or any other crap like that. It's just not good for your health.

haha,
    Chad
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  13. /*
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I traditionally hand coded with a HTML editor--I have started a new job, their workflow incorporates dreamweaver--I have forced myself to learn dreamweaver and I have to say, I like it.

I feel like I have an assistant working for me, the way dreamweaver manages the sites files and even FTP access is awesome, whenever I want to add a new CSS class I just choose ..add new CSS.. then I get a nice dialogue where I can fill in all of the details for that class, without having to type out all the properties. I like this feature. The code editor is highly efficient too.

I am in danger of becoming lazy.
    Last edited by benno32; July 28th, 2007 at 07:10 AM.
    */
  15. Humble Learner

Defainately Dreamweaver is a good choice over others .
  17. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well it all depends on how much you know of the code. If you know a lot then you might be frustrated with how DreamWeaver wants to put in a bunch of useless code that just makes your files really big. If you know what you are doing you can get something like PHP Expert Editor or JEdit and make the code handcrafted and small.

It just all depends on how much you want it to hold your hand. I think that your statement "... is a good choice over others ." is stretching a lot. Above Notepad ... yes, above Zend Studio no.

Chad
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  19. No Profile Picture

Something simple

Hi

I too am looking for a web design software.

I would like something simple that I can use to design pages and upload. The only other requirement I would have is to be able to create password protected pages. Like when you click on a link, a box pops up and says "username" and "password". Other than that I don't require anything fancy.

Free will be nice but I am happy to pay a small sum too.

I will be using my macbook so it has to have a mac version.

Many thanks.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

to protect a directory
    all you should need are .htaccess and .htpasswd files (simple text files)
  23. /*
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by tj_nt
    to protect a directory
    all you should need are .htaccess and .htpasswd files (simple text files)
    Unless you are using a Micro$oft windows server.
    Then you have to create user accounts and set the permissions for each user.
    */
  25. No Profile Picture

I use to love dreamweaver until I began learning more about coding, now I am hooked on EditPlus.

Simple and clean software with lots of options.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dreamweaver is OK.

IMO, there are definitely a slew of better options available, though.

Really, it just depends on what you need, what you are comfortable with, and how much money you are going to be investing.

Wikipedia has some good articles to compare and contrast, but be careful what time of day you read up over there because web design and programming language compare/contrast articles can get as heatedly biased as religious, political, or corporate articles at times.
  29. :)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Just stay away from Adobe GoLive.

Comments on this post

• chadsmith729 agrees : I second that. Though, Adobe GoLive was replaced by Adobe/Macromedia DreamWeaver. But just for the older ones out there, who might think of doing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo