1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Documenting A Server ... how to start?

That task has fallen upon me to start to "document" our various servers down to the software / script level.

ie:
    Apache: What versions are installed and what websites are being served up.

PHP: What versions are installed and which websites are using what.

MySQL: What Versions are installed and what Schema's do they contain and which websites are using which schema.

CronTabs: what scripts are being run by what services (php? perl?) and what users (root vs joe)

etc, etc ... not to mention OS, CPU, OS, Ram, etc, etc on 25+ servers.

So, the question is where to start? and how to effectively document all of this. I can find plenty of "hardware" inventory, but nothing for software that is more then scanning a registry (and most of the server are linux based anyways).

My knee jerk reaction is to use Visio and just start to map out, site by site, what is being used, but that seems like a daunting task.

Any suggestions / templates would be much appreciated.
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What's the purpose behind needing to document all of this? Sounds like Configuration Management to me...

A good place to start would be to review any existing architectural documentation (UML diagrams, etc).
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo