1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to develop a module in magento

Magento is famous e-commerce platform built on open-source technology. Magento platform provides their online merchants some great features like - powerful marketing, search engine optimization, catalog-management tools, control over the look, control over the content, control over the functionality and unprecedented flexibility. However creation of magento module is not an easy task for a beginner. You need to have basic understanding of magento, php and html. First of all you should disable the cache as it causes many technical difficulties. Go to the app/code directory, in this directory modules are divided into three parts core, community and local. The app/code/core directory includes all the functionality for the products, categories, customers, payments, etc. The app/code/community directory includes third party modules. The app/code/local directory is empty and is provided to add custom-made modules. You need to create directories for module namespace, module name, configuring the module. You need to create a xml file to inform the Magento about the existence of our module and then do cross check for your module. Then define an event observer. You need to create a observer model when the event is triggered. The last step is the checking if your module works or not. Log in your magento admin panel and update a new product in the catalog and check the var/log folder to see if the yourproduct-updates.log file gets populated or not. For checking go to Admin Panel >> System >> Configuration >> Developer >> Log Settings >> Enabled.
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

That information is completely useless.

You explain the extremely high-level processes but give no idea on how to actually do what needs to be done.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hii Catacaustic,

This is a summary. This contains only the crucial steps to develop magento module. If I would write complete description then it would become a very large post of about 2350 to 2500 words. It would become very awkward to have a large post on this forum. Therefore to avoid all of these I have mentioned only the important steps.
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is a technical forum. It's expected that there's going to be some explanation of the actual process that needs to be done. I do understand that it's a big write-up because I've done a bit of work with Magento myself, but your "information' there is still useless without all of the accompanying documentation that is needed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo