1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2 dns on one server

Hello.

I have 2 raq4's I use for my dns.
    I will call them server 1 and server 2 from now on.

ns1.dnsserver2.net IP 210.23.135.33 (server 1)
    ns2.dnsserver2.net IP 210.23.135.35 (server 2)

These 2 work fine.

Now my problem.
    I have a dns server in the USA and it is using ns.dnsserver1.net and ns2.dnsserver1.net both hosted on the same machine... That's ok it works.

I wish to move all my clients from the USA server to the two above (server 1 and server 2)
    To do this without having to transfer all the domains I thought I could set up ns.dnsserver1.net on server 1 using a new IP 210.23.135.34 and that way ns.dnsserver1.net would be primary and the ns2.dnsserver1.net would remain on the US box until I get everyone moved across. (I did update ns.dnsserver1.net IP to 210.23.135.34 with my registrar)
    Great idea but it doesn't work. I constantly get "error 10054,Connection reset" I have edited the zone files a million times on both servers but still it just wont except an soa lookup.

If you lookup apexhost.com.au for eg. both nameservers are alive and authoritative
    If you lookup apexhost.biz for eg. ns2.dnsserver1.net is alive and authoritative but ns.dnsserver1.net is dead or siplays above error.

By the way, soa record is ns.dnsserver1.net

Is this possible to achieve somehow? hopefully I have overlooked something simple here?

Regards
    Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Not a Junior Member :)

You'll need to register your nameserver as nameserver host. BTW, Austrailian domain services are super picky about this.

Registration of your nameserver depends on who is the registrar of the domain that the nameserver will run under. In your example, determine who the domain registrar is for dnsserver1.net. Different registrars will have different processes for setting up new nameserver "host". Once the host has been established as a nameserver, then you can assign them as nameservers in the "NS" line in your zone record.

Check with your registrar to determine their procedures and requirements for establishing a new host/IP as a nameserver.

Of note: you cannot have two nameserver hosts with the same IP or the same name. They must be unique. However, some registrars will "update" the host ip for a nameserver.

For some registrars, like register.com it's not obvious how the nameserver host is established. Let me know if you are using them.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply,

I am familiar with nameserver settings with registrar's and yes they are all set up correctly. That's not my problem.

This is simply all I wish to do...

On one RAQ

ns1.dnsserver2.net IP 210.23.135.33
    ns.dnsserver1.net IP 210.23.135.34

On the other RAQ

ns2.dnsserver2.net IP 210.23.135.35
    ns2.dnsserver1.net IP 210.23.135.36

So they are authoritative for both domains.

If you look them up at the moment they are on different servers, eg: dnsserver2.net is on 2 cobalts and ns.dnsserver1.net is on one windows box in Aust and ns2.dnsserver1.net is on out US box.

I just want them both on the 2 Cobalt boxes.

Note the names look similar but they are different.

Dave

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo