1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How does Active Directory relate to DNS???

I was reading a lot about DNS so that I could set up my own DNS server, and I kept seeing Active Directory being mentioned again and again. I guess it's something new and enhanced in Windows 2003, but I do not know what it really is and what it does.

What does it do?
    When and why would you need to set up AD?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Active Directory, which is an essential component of the Windows 2000 architecture, presents organizations with a directory service designed for distributed computing environments. Active Directory allows organizations to centrally manage and share information on network resources and users while acting as the central authority for network security. In addition to providing comprehensive directory services to a Windows environment, Active Directory is designed to be a consolidation point for isolating, migrating, centrally managing, and reducing the number of directories that companies require.
    You must have DNS to run Active Directory but don't need Active Directory to run DNS in a Windows 2000/20003 environment. AD relies heavily on DNS.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo