Thread: BIND on Linux

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

BIND on Linux

Hi I want to host my own web server(mail, ftp, apache, and bind) I have a cable connection to the internet and my ip is static. Can I host my own DNS Servers? I have mylinux box connected through a router and I forward all port 53 udp and tcp to it. I tried to set it up but Im having trouble doing so . I had a domain pointing my nameservers that I registered with my registar and that IP for the name server is pointing to server. I serioudly dont think I have BIND configured right because there are error messages in the logs when I try to start BIND(named) can somebody maybe walk me through setting up DNS through WebMIN or bindconf?
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

BIND is very complicated, and full of security holes. Stay away from it.

djbdns will do what you want with much less hassle. It is much easier to set up and maintain, and has never had any security holes (it's been around for over 6 years). Specifically, you want the tinydns component which deals with publishing DNS data.

Only other point to mention, you will need two DNS servers on separate IP addresses (this can be one machine with two IP's assigned to it). So your cable connection can be one of them, but you will need to either get secondary DNS from somewhere (some places offer it for free - check Google) or get a second IP address from your ISP.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo