1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't Resolve on LAN

Hi folks.

I'm on OSX and I have an issue finding domains that are actually hosted on my LAN.

I shouldn't have to modify my hosts file in order to see my own domains (virtual hosted).

Does anybody know what kind of setup I need for my own DNS to respond to me?

nslookup says it knows the IP. But it also says "Can't find mydomain.ca: No answer".

So I'm confused.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you say that your domains are hosted on your own LAN, I presume that your own LAN operates on a private network behind a NAT router using private IP addresses (eg. 192.168.x.x/10.x.x.x). Domains normally resolve to the Public address, and most NAT routers do not provide loopback on the public address. Since you don't like the idea of using the HOSTS file, your only options are to use a DNS that provides Intranet service, or to use a NAT router that provides loopback service.

J.A Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

Airport Extreme No Loopback!

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the top-posting (I know how some people lose it on this), but I don't think you need to re-read what you put.

Your assumption is spot on.

Oh so this is indeed a valid issue. It's not a records issue. Hey that's great. If I know that, then I can either use an external DNS on my Mac or modify the hosts file.

You just saved me a boatload of time. I can't thank you enough.

Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by couttsj
    When you say that your domains are hosted on your own LAN, I presume that your own LAN operates on a private network behind a NAT router using private IP addresses (eg. 192.168.x.x/10.x.x.x). Domains normally resolve to the Public address, and most NAT routers do not provide loopback on the public address. Since you don't like the idea of using the HOSTS file, your only options are to use a DNS that provides Intranet service, or to use a NAT router that provides loopback service.

J.A Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo