1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cheap dns hosts & secondary on same machine

Hello

This is a 2 part question. I am migrating from 2 servers to 1, and I currently maintain my own primary and secondary dns.

First, what are the best and cheapest dns hosts for secondary dns? I have over 400 domains and pay-per-domain is a non-starter.

Second, since I am putting all my eggs in one basket anyway, does it really matter if I put primary and secondary on the same machine? I will have multiple IP numbers, and if the box is down for dns, likely it's down for http also. The new hosting company is a very reliable provider.

Cheers
    Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mwpclark
    Hello

This is a 2 part question. I am migrating from 2 servers to 1, and I currently maintain my own primary and secondary dns.

First, what are the best and cheapest dns hosts for secondary dns? I have over 400 domains and pay-per-domain is a non-starter.

Second, since I am putting all my eggs in one basket anyway, does it really matter if I put primary and secondary on the same machine? I will have multiple IP numbers, and if the box is down for dns, likely it's down for http also. The new hosting company is a very reliable provider.

Cheers
    Mike
    The answer to that question depends entirely on how reliable your DNS is. For utmost reliability, the secondary DNS should be on a completely different path. For many years I ran a single DNS for as many as 200 domains, as well as providing DNS lookup for as many as 200 clients. BUT, that machine only ran DNS on it's own separate IP. I used the same philosophy for each of the services that I offered. One machine for email, one machine for radius, one machine for Web, one machine for SQL. In that manner, when one service went down, it didn't affect any other service. I have never been a fan of running everything on one high powered computer.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

I found a partial answer. Godaddy charges $2.99 per month paid by the year, for dns for an unlimited number of domains, that is, unlimited records, with up to 5 million queries per domain per month. If you go over the 5 mil, they do not charge an overage fee, they are simply monitoring at the present time. Per a phone conversation there is supposedly a method to make bulk entries.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo