1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help creating a DNS service to access Streaming websites from a different region

Hi all,

New user here, without much networking experience, but I hope you can help me...
    I currently use a few DNS services to access sports streaming websites from the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region. These services are normally geo blocked, but the service that I'm using is now used by a lot of people (thousands) so the streaming services are getting pretty good at identifying and blocking the servers used by these DNS services, so the whole thing becomes a 'cat and mouse' game.

What I would like to do is set up a DNS service for 4 friends and I, so that we can access these streaming websites, without getting geoblocked.
    Is this feasible?
    How complicated (and expensive) a process is this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Just buy a cheap VPS that is located somewhere that is not blocked, and configure it to proxy your requests for you, or just be your dns server, depending on what you really need.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kicken
    Just buy a cheap VPS that is located somewhere that is not blocked, and configure it to proxy your requests for you, or just be your dns server, depending on what you really need.
    Hey Kicken
    Thanks for your reply.
    What exactly does a VPS do? Are they expensive? If you could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.
    I've used unodns and Overplay smart DNS in the past... Is this setup in a similar way?

Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

ANy further help to my above questions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by iceberg
    Hi all,

New user here, without much networking experience, but I hope you can help me...
    I currently use a few DNS services to access sports streaming websites from the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region. These services are normally geo blocked, but the service that I'm using is now used by a lot of people (thousands) so the streaming services are getting pretty good at identifying and blocking the servers used by these DNS services, so the whole thing becomes a 'cat and mouse' game.

What I would like to do is set up a DNS service for 4 friends and I, so that we can access these streaming websites, without getting geoblocked.
    Is this feasible?
    How complicated (and expensive) a process is this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    A good VPN would also do the trick and is easier to setup and use. Here is a top list to help you get started - torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zooron_sam
    A good VPN would also do the trick and is easier to setup and use. Here is a top list to help you get started - torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/
    Unfortunately none of the VPNs listed in that article have servers based in the middle East or North Africa. As the streaming service is geoblocked, any potential VPN needs to have a server located in those countries.
    Many other people are using well know VPNs to get round the geoblocking, but this has led some of these VPNs IPs to be blocked from accessing the website's content, as it is a popular method of getting round the geoblocking.

The problem with a VPN, as far as I've read, is that they tend to be slower. Therefore, it would be very difficult to get anything approaching HD quality video to stream, because of the bottleneck. I believe the same doesn't apply to DNS.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would suggest searching for VPN services in those areas. I am sure there is a company or two already selling services.

Depending on what country in the middle east you are looking for and same for North Africa I'm sure there are datacenters and providers that have the ability to either sell you a VPN service or a VPS (virtual private server) to do what you are wanting.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    I would suggest searching for VPN services in those areas. I am sure there is a company or two already selling services.

Depending on what country in the middle east you are looking for and same for North Africa I'm sure there are datacenters and providers that have the ability to either sell you a VPN service or a VPS (virtual private server) to do what you are wanting.
    How does a VPS differ from a VPN or does it operate in the same way?
    Would a VPS involve using DNS in some way?

Sorry for the newb questions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo