1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to create a subdomain

Good day everybody,

I would like to know how to setup a subdomain of my current domain. I am using bind 9 with webmin. This subdomain that I will set up will be controlled by another system admin in another location (delegation). This subdomain will also have its own mail server set for that subdomain.

How do I do that and what are the things that I consider first. How will I ask my ISP on this matter.

Thanks a lot guys! More power.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by elizalde
    Good day everybody,

I would like to know how to setup a subdomain of my current domain. I am using bind 9 with webmin. This subdomain that I will set up will be controlled by another system admin in another location (delegation). This subdomain will also have its own mail server set for that subdomain.

How do I do that and what are the things that I consider first. How will I ask my ISP on this matter.

Thanks a lot guys! More power.
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

To create a subdomain, add an A record pointing to the subdomain in your zone file. If you have a wildcard setup already, then you don't need to worry about this.

You will need to create an MX record for this subdomain, and again, add an A record for the mail server (if you don't have wildcard setup).

You shouldn't need to ask your ISP for anything if you already have the server setup and running properly. If you don't have RDNS, then that's what you would contact your ISP for.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the quick reply.By the way, I am following your tutorial on this thread "Setting up DNS using Webmin". I have tried configuring dns servers but only internal dns servers so please bare with me.

For instance, my domain is "x.y.z." and my zone file is "x.y.z.hosts". Can I just add an A record pointing to the subdomain inside this "x.y.z.hosts" file? How do I do that?
  7. They're coming to take me away

Thanks for the quick reply.By the way, I am following your tutorial on this thread "Setting up DNS using Webmin". I have tried configuring dns servers but only internal dns servers so please bare with me.

For instance, my domain is "x.y.z." and my zone file is "x.y.z.hosts". Can I just add an A record pointing to the subdomain inside this "x.y.z.hosts" file? How do I do that?
    If you open the hosts file, you will see all of the other records that have been created from using Webmin. Follow the same format and enter the new subdomain. Although, if using Webmin, just stick to using webmin.

Format is generally:
    subdomain.domain.com IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
  9. No Profile Picture

I've done what you advised though I encountered another problem. I can't see the results of my added host when I use the web-based DIG or NSLOOKUP.

Using Webmin, what are the things that I should consider so that my name server will be queried by other name servers. I've checked my firewall, allow queries from are set to "Default".

Thanks
  11. They're coming to take me away

How's about posting your zone files for me to take a look at. You can edit the domains and IP address.
  13. No Profile Picture

This is my x.y.z.hosts file.
    ################################
    $ttl 38400
    x.y.z. IN SOA mail.x.y.z. webmaster.x.y.z. (
    38400 )
    x.y.z. IN A 222.x.x.68
    ftp2.x.y.z. IN A 222.x.x.90
    test.x.y.z. IN A 222.x.x.92
    www3.x.y.z. IN A 222.x.x.69
    ################################
  15. They're coming to take me away

What are you doing for nameservers?
  17. No Profile Picture

First I want to add hosts that can be seen over the internet that will function with a specific service like ftp. Next, I will do creating subdomain and delegate it and be managed by another system administrator.
  19. They're coming to take me away

First I want to add hosts that can be seen over the internet that will function with a specific service like ftp. Next, I will do creating subdomain and delegate it and be managed by another system administrator.
    I understand what you want. However, without nameservers, no one will be able to see you on the internet.

For example, at the registrar, your domain needs to have nameservers associated with it. Do you already have this set up? If not, then you need to do that.
  21. No Profile Picture

Yes sir. My ISP has already delegated my name server to be the authoritative name server of x.y.z. but that is accdg. to the previous system admin here. Do I need to contact my ISP for further information? If yes, what are the questions that I should raise up in order for me to confirm that my name server's IP address is properly associated with their name servers.

Thanks a lot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo